Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

3 pounder projectile markings help

Article about: Can someone help me identify the markings on this projectile? Can anyone identify a possible era and manufacturer? Thank you for all the help.

Default 3 pounder projectile markings help

Can someone help me identify the markings on this projectile? Can anyone identify a possible era and manufacturer? Thank you for all the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 pounder projectile markings help   3 pounder projectile markings help  

Standard 3 Pdr, a better set of pictures are needed, is it a SAP HE with a base fuze or what?). Crows foot and Naval mark on one side with acceptance / quality assurance marks. Calibre, (3 Pdr) manufacturer and Manufacturers mark, the stylised arch I think is Thorp Arch but I am not at work so do not have the books.

Here are some more pictures. Hope it helps
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 pounder projectile markings help   3 pounder projectile markings help  

Base fuzed i will get the detail in work tomorrow.

The shell was lyddite filled, a burster charge of 4 4/16 oz with either the No19A fuze or yours looks like a parallel walled fuze hole and therefore the Hotchkiss Mk IV base Fuze. Practice versions were available with the same shell but inert filled and with a PRF, (Plug Representing Fuze) fitted. The Prac came in full or reduced charge variants dependant upon available safety trace.

So the live version if found now has one of the worst volatile explosives with what we consider one of the most dangerous fuzes ever to have been produced. All in all a singularly horrible item and about as dangerous as they come, (the 1 Pdr, 3 and 6 all are bigger or smaller versions of each other).