MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

.455 rounds, packaging?

Article about: Hello all, I Have an old spec .455 Webley, a Sam Brown with holster and ammo pouch. Does anyone know how the rounds were packed when in the ammo pouch? Perhaps boxed in packs of six or just

Default .455 rounds, packaging?

Hello all,
    I Have an old spec .455 Webley, a Sam Brown with holster and ammo pouch. Does anyone know how the rounds were packed when in the ammo pouch? Perhaps boxed in packs of six or just loose or is this the correct pouch, it is stamped on the back with, John Pounds and co, 1914. The rounds shown are of course inert.
    I'll be most grateful to find out as I would like the whole set displayed accurately.
    best regards,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture .455 rounds, packaging?   .455 rounds, packaging?  

?

Wrapped in wax paper if it's anything like .303 rounds. .303 rounds were wrapped in packets of 10 in waxpaper.

Thanks Nitram,
    Now I have to see if anyone has a picture of some wrapped rounds so I can copy it with my inert rounds.
    Cheers,
    navyman.

?

.455 rounds, packaging?

Loose in the pouch-the whole point is that the rounds are 'ready use'-one of the many virtues of the Webley is that it unloads/empties rapidly when broken open and reloads easily with easy access to the cylinder-this would be for naught if you have to screw around opening packaging to reload in action...

Default .455 packAGING

Hello Nitram,
    Many thanks for the pic's. Exactly what I was looking for.
    Best regards,
    navyman.

Thanks to you as well Lithgow,
    I had guessed that this may be the case, it makes sense during action. I used to shoot the Webley before the pistol ban in this country and found it quick to reload dropping two rounds at a time into the cylinder.
    Best regards,
    navyman.

Just for info, these are my Webleys. Mks II, IV, VI, in .455, and Mk IV, commercial Mk IV with cross bolt safety and 3" barrel, Mk IV, in .38 S+W.
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture .455 rounds, packaging?