Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Ammunition Identification

Article about: Fellow Forum Members, Many people here ask the question, 'What is this?' likewise the slightly different, 'This is a ******* I think, can anyone tell me more?' Both are equally valid questio

Default Ammunition Identification

Fellow Forum Members,

Many people here ask the question, 'What is this?' likewise the slightly different, 'This is a ******* I think, can anyone tell me more?' Both are equally valid questions but the problem is that to get an accurate answer it needs to be asked in the right way. As someone who does this for a living and having just lectured a large group on just this subject I thought that some guidance might be in order.

First a photograph is normally needed. It should be a vertical shot if possible but what ever angle is better than nothing. IT MUST have a scale! Again IT MUST have a scale!

An example of what we see time and again, no scale or clue!

With a scale a whole different proposition.

Even just a simple ruler is enough to help and give a clue.

The ideal scale to enable the best chance of identification.

Once you have a workable picture then the other detail that is needed is, CONTEXT, where did it originate from, any history known, anything that is known as to why it might be there. Any detail of the item, in particular markings, original colours was it found with anything else. All these help to identify the item and steer those of us in the right direction instead of wasting time looking in the completely wrong place.

Lastly a safety warning, if you do not know what it is do not touch, do not move it or take it home for a better look. If you know exactly what it is and it is live then inform the local authorities, any interaction with it may risk your life and the lives of others. In addition in most countries it is illegal also and you risk sever punishment even if you are lucky enough not to be hurt.

I hope this is helpful and if you photograph correctly and supply the needed detail then I'm sure someone here will help you with the question.

Regards,
    R

One typo vegetius, think you meant severe, rather than sever (although the former is entirely possible should the world turn to **** for the person finding said item). Have a good weekend!

Absolutely, however my, (and my colleagues) feelings on people who do such things maybe sever should be the punishment, (at a minimum!).

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Absolutely, however my, (and my colleagues) feelings on people who do such things maybe sever should be the punishment, (at a minimum!).
    With the advances in modern reconstructive medicine severance would only be a temporary lesson.

On the constructive side for those that do not have an evidence ruler laying around....
    Here is a link to some printable Versions:
    Specialty Rulers

"Here is a link to some printable Versions:
    Specialty Rulers " !Good call. No excuse now then!

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    With the advances in modern reconstructive medicine severance would only be a temporary lesson.

On the constructive side for those that do not have an evidence ruler laying around....
    Here is a link to some printable Versions:
    Specialty Rulers
    At the risk of sounding too much of a layman; In the absence of an actual measure of any kind, better than nothing would be an easily recognisable everyday item such as a coin or ballpoint pen for small items or the hammer that all good detectorists carry in their kit bag for bigger stuff!

By way of real life example I personally once used my British Army beret folded next to the item with cap badge visible. The ATO really liked that one

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    At the risk of sounding too much of a layman; In the absence of an actual measure of any kind, better than nothing would be an easily recognisable everyday item such as a coin or ballpoint pen for small items or the hammer that all good detectorists carry in their kit bag for bigger stuff!

By way of real life example I personally once used my British Army beret folded next to the item with cap badge visible. The ATO really liked that one

Regards

Mark
    Good morning Mark,

You are entirely right, in the absence of an exact scale everyday objects are the best measure and unprepared in the field one often doesn't have anything better.
    Cigarettes are regularly used for small to medium objects and I've seen a lot of Coke bottles, cutlery and shoes next to shells over the years right up to a sapper laying on an anti shipping missile