Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

B1E Incendiary Bomb

Article about: Greetings, I picked this one up a while back, but never got around to posting it. It's an example of the B1E incendiary bomb, dropped on the UK in profusion by the Luftwaffe during the Blitz

I think the bit you have rattling is split spacing collar at the fuse end, the holed part at the top of the image below.
    B1E Incendiary Bomb

I'm saying that because that is what I have inside my own example, (no filler, fuze dismantled and safe).
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 06-07-2021 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Correct terms

Reminds me of a friend in the 1980's who bought a deceased estate and found an "odd thing" in the garden shed. Turned out to be a live German ww2 butterfly bomb!!

No-one knew how it got there??? .... but it caused quite a stir!
    I give any ordnance a wide berth....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

L,

Sorry mate, the German unreliability on marking Z or ZB is the only reliable thing! I have had unmarked with the HE pellet and also marked with no HE present. Wartime manufacture is never that good and the ones made under occupation or by forced labour even worse.

The primers I fully agree on and I have seen one of these dropped that then functioned. They are really quite spectacular when they go! Recovery of that one is worthy of your boss!! Oh and did you mean the IBSEN / IBEN versions? Fleischer covers the 1 Kg quite well in the definitive book.

When I look through the holes at the base, this is what I’m seeing.

B1E Incendiary Bomb

It corresponds to the location of the ‘spring distance piece’ shown in diagrams, but appears far too narrow and of the wrong shape. Seems to be a solid metal rod of some sort. 1cm in diameter at the most.

B.B.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    L,

Sorry mate, the German unreliability on marking Z or ZB is the only reliable thing! I have had unmarked with the HE pellet and also marked with no HE present. Wartime manufacture is never that good and the ones made under occupation or by forced labour even worse.

The primers I fully agree on and I have seen one of these dropped that then functioned. They are really quite spectacular when they go! Recovery of that one is worthy of your boss!! Oh and did you mean the IBSEN / IBEN versions? Fleischer covers the 1 Kg quite well in the definitive book.
    I'm just going to go ahead and assume you mean this Book:B1E Incendiary Bomb
    Fleischer basically copied the L.Dv into normal language

Don't know how you lot abbreviate them but the B1 EZ and B1 EZB (and B1,3) officially had secondary Charges.

Footnote: my "Boss" would probably mistake it for something edible

Here is mine B.B,

B1E Incendiary Bomb

B1E Incendiary Bomb

B1E Incendiary Bomb

B1E Incendiary Bomb

Fuse is Rhs, Rheinmetall Borsig. Nothing inside that goes pop.

?

Default My B1 Incendiary

This is one I owned over 10 years ago and posting it here for reference. At the time I was selling off my militaria collection and this was one item that went. I didn't know the best way to sell it so firstly I listed it on eBay - yes, hard to believe. I think the description of WW2 German incendiary bomb set alarm bells off and it was removed from eBay.

Eventually I sold it to a dealer at a militaria fair for not much money at all. Shame I didn't have access to this forum back then. I would have liked to pass it on directly to a collector. I acquired it from an elderly gentleman in the early 1980's living in Bristol, UK. It was advertised in a local newspaper for £3 and I was quick to get there first. I think he had it since the war but unfortunately I can't remember how he acquired it. In hindsight I never really new if it was safe, but assumed the holes around the outside were signs it had been 'deactivated'. The surface was pitted and not smooth like photos of others I've seen. It was just possible to read "AZ8312" on the end.

B1E Incendiary Bomb

B1E Incendiary Bomb

B1E Incendiary Bomb

B1E Incendiary Bomb
    Last edited by Simonk; 06-12-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2