Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British brass shell case identification help

Article about: Good afternoon everyone, I hope everyone is doing well! Here I have a brass shell case from a 2 pounder quick-fire Mark II navy gun used by the British in WWII. I have been racking my brain

Smile British brass shell case identification help

Good afternoon everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well! Here I have a brass shell case from a 2 pounder quick-fire Mark II navy gun used by the British in WWII. I have been racking my brain to understand the markings present on the headstamp of the case and after a lot of research there are still some marks and some questions which I would like some help in.

Starting with the brass case, it has the mark 2 PR N. 01 MK II, which means 2 pounder No.1 shot Mark 2. It was manufactured by RLB - Royal Laboratories in 1942 indicated that it was used for naval service by the uppercase N above 1942. On the left there is the Lot number 46. On the lower left there is the crows foot mark which indicates that it was accepted for service.

Moving on to the middle part, the percussion primer. The markings No.27 . IN . SFN 1941 mean that it is a No.27 Mark 1 primer manufactured in 1941. Lot number 96 with some other markings on the upper left halve BR 6-42, meaning that it was filled in June 1942 (I think).

Here are my queries:
    - What is the G67 mark next to the crows foot on the lower left of the brass case?
    - What does SFN in 'No.27.IN .SFN' in the right halve of the primer mean?
    - What does BR in 'BR 6-42' in the left halve of the primer mean?
    - What does the monogram 5W (or it could be SW) underneath the manufacture date in the right halve of the primer mean?
    - Where exactly was this thing manufactured? Because RLB had several locations, perhaps Woolwich?

Thank you so much for any help, I would be genuinely grateful. I am still an amateur and if I am mistaken in anything please correct me. I strive to understand what every single mark means, thank you once again! I know I have asked for a lot.

Kind regards,
    Nathan M
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British brass shell case identification help   British brass shell case identification help