Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Cockerill HEAT-T - 2 primers?

Article about: Hi guys, I was able to complete this Cockerill HEAT-T set recently after acquiring the case. What's unusual is that there is a second hole in the base, with a channel running to the outer ed

Default Cockerill HEAT-T - 2 primers?

Hi guys,

I was able to complete this Cockerill HEAT-T set recently after acquiring the case. What's unusual is that there is a second hole in the base, with a channel running to the outer edge. The inside of this second hole is threaded, much the same as that of the primer in the centre. I know the Cockerill is referred to as a 'low pressure' gun, could this second hole be part of that, a vent/plug possibly? Or is it simply a post-use modification? Training aid possibly?

Any input would be most welocme,

Many thanks.
    Cockerill HEAT-T - 2 primers?Cockerill HEAT-T - 2 primers?Cockerill HEAT-T - 2 primers?

A fine piece...and beautifully presented. This isn’t my field but I’ve been thinking about the groove from the off-centre hole....it’s almost like trunking for a wire. Could there have been an electrical connection from inside the breach to the second fitting for some reason?

Probably for a pressure sensor for a proof firing. I have seen similar in the past.

Thank you, would you still be able to seal the breech with the wiring or would it be for training purposes as part of a digital simulation style turret?

The wires would lead out through the breech. The cart case will provide rearward obturation and a modified breech where the wires from the sensor go through it is more than viable from a firing and gas pressure point of view. It has given me a good picture however to set for the new operators to work out!