Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Flak 18 88 new item for my collection

Article about: good evening, here's my latest acquisition,Can anyone give me some more information? what I can find about it is that this would be a HE round L 4.5 stg (according to michaelhiske.de) on the

?

Default Flak 18 88 new item for my collection

good evening, here's my latest acquisition,Can anyone give me some more information? what I can find about it is that this would be a HE round L 4.5 stg (according to michaelhiske.de) on the sleeve itself I don't find any Finnish characters? or have already been deleted . on the bottom I notice that there is only half a waffenamt visible and 1 dot, so I think it has been reused 1 time. was this only done by the Finns or were they also reused during the war itself? On the grenade itself I only find 2 numbers very poorly visible, otherwise nothing. thanks in advance. greetings raf
    Flak 18 88 new item for my collectionFlak 18 88 new item for my collectionFlak 18 88 new item for my collectionFlak 18 88 new item for my collectionFlak 18 88 new item for my collectionFlak 18 88 new item for my collection

What are you hoping to learn?
    You've got a 88mm HE L4,5 Stg ÜbW which basically just means you've got a practice proj. that was filled with flash powder and white signal smoke that Had a small picric acid Charge in the middle.
    The L4,5 just means the proj. is 4.5 calibers long.
    The AZ 23/28 is a PD Impact fuse with preset delay and super quick settings.
    Casings were constantly reused by everyone as long as they still met the tolerances, a practice that continues today.

?

Well i guess you have answered all my questions . Thank you for this .

Oops. Missed something...
    Stg is Stahlguss or cast iron

?

Ok so after looking up in the Merkblatt
    für die Munition der 8,8 cm
    Flugabwehrkanone 18
    (8,8 cm Flak 18)
    I found these images of 3 sorts of sprgr patr l 4,5 (see below)
    I was wondering how you could tell if this was the ub ( practice round ) ?
    Or is the outer shell simply the same for all 3 and when its filled with high explosives then its a live round and if not then its a practice round ?
    I am just curious about this ,
    Thanks
    Flak 18 88 new item for my collectionFlak 18 88 new item for my collectionFlak 18 88 new item for my collection

I just roughly guessed the length of the proj. based on the known casing size and as far as I'm aware the L4,5 Stg HE was used for the kwk 36 with a different casing.
    Measure the exact length of your proj. and I'll narrow it down for you

Cancel that. I just had a look at the Table of 8,8 ammunition.
    There are two L4,5 Stg listed. One for the Flak 18, 36 and 37, and one for the kwk 36.
    The Pr. zugz (Preßstahl zugezogen) is pressed steel and rusts differrently to cast steel.
    If you don't mind waiting I think I've got the manufacturing Data at work maybe there are construction differences
    Last edited by Teck 147; 12-20-2021 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Correction

?

Well ok i tried to measure it exactly , the height of the case is 56,9cm ( should be 57 i think ).
    The height of the grenade from bottom to top without fuze is 30 cm , with fuze this is 39,6cm.
    Greetings

Raf

Quote by Rd1986 View Post
    Well ok i tried to measure it exactly , the height of the case is 56,9cm ( should be 57 i think ).
    The height of the grenade from bottom to top without fuze is 30 cm , with fuze this is 39,6cm.
    Greetings

Raf
    570.6mm is correct for the 18 as is 396mm for the proj. so at least they match.
    Last edited by Teck 147; 12-19-2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Typo