Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

fuze ID

Article about: Hi there, would anyone fancy a guess at what family of fuze this fragment came off? the ringed base looks like it served as a sort of turntable to increase friction against another piece whi

As I was personally involved in that all I can say is that the claim that 100% were cleared is correct. By the way Blackcat the maps were excellent!

Good to know.

?

at least 5 minutes to find...and cause my colleagues a whole lot of paperwork for which we would not thank you!
    thanks for the 117 lead, i found a photo of a similar 'shutter', i can see the similarity, i will read up on it.

regards safety,i appreciate your concern, i end up presenting little fragments here as i dont dig & i dont touch larger pieces. I recently reported an intact shell & 2 mortars i came across on the surface, so in my little way i am helping making the area a bit safer for kids & ppl walking their dogs.

lets be honest, the main reason there are so many shiny shells/fuzes on display on this forum is that some serviceman 100 years ago,
    took an intact shell home as a souvenir, instead of reporting it.
    thereafter it spent untold years in a display case in his groundfloor flat, and was only made safe after his heirs sold it to an armourer.

thanks for the Imber mention, I hadnt heard about their story before, that they were promised a return in writing.
    R

fuze ID
    Last edited by randi; 02-03-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Quote by randi View Post
    thanks for the Imber mention, I hadnt heard about their story before, that they were promised a return in writing.R
    A bit off topic but as it came up and holds similar interest to those interested in military archeology;

It wasn't the only place but at least the MOD still use it extensively.

Many other villages suffered a similar fate. Some were reoccupied after the war but some were not given back for undisclosed reasons. Tyneham in Dorset is an example of one that remained unoccupied;

Imber - Wikipedia

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2