Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Ammo Crate WW1?

Article about: Can anyone tell me if this ammo crate ww1 era? I would just like to know a little more about it if anyone has some knowledge on it. Thank you for the help.

Default German Ammo Crate WW1?

Can anyone tell me if this ammo crate ww1 era? I would just like to know a little more about it if anyone has some knowledge on it. Thank you for the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Ammo Crate WW1?   German Ammo Crate WW1?  

German Ammo Crate WW1?   German Ammo Crate WW1?  

Hi Kyle,

The box does look similar to other examples of ammo crates that I have seen previously, but obviously like a lot of items of equipment used during WW1, there was a lot of variety but no longer a lot that have survived as they would have been repurposed post war as opposed to being souvenired like helmets, guns and edged weapons etc. The writing on the side roughly translates to “return to homeland for processing”. Perhaps some of our German speaking members can provide a more accurate translation. Below for comparison, is a similar WW1 German example that is dated 1915. Very similar construction and closure system, and with the same red ink? this time used for a red stamp.

Hope this helps,
    Andy
    German Ammo Crate WW1?German Ammo Crate WW1?German Ammo Crate WW1?

?

Another, similar example from my collection, though of later, economy production, with woven hemp handles, leather hinges and a single, buckled securing strap.
    The curious thing about this one is that it was supplied to Russia, in 1917, and stencilled in German and Russian - perhaps to help fuel the revolution and civil war, thus keeping them out of the great war...
    It remained in Russian service in 1941, evidenced by the paper labels pasted inside the lid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Ammo Crate WW1?   German Ammo Crate WW1?  

German Ammo Crate WW1?   German Ammo Crate WW1?  

That’s a great example Rob! I’ve never really looked at these too closely as a potential item to collect thinking the shipping would be too much. But I can see they are very interesting in their own right. I also like the wicker shell carriers that you sometimes see in period photos and occasionally for sale.

?

I quite agree, Andy. All of these things (crates, wicker tubes, &c.), are worth grabbing. As you say, they are not particularly glamorous and most of them ended up as firewood or just rotting away.. others became toolboxes. Any with original markings surviving are definitely worthy of rescue.
    Interesting to see the number of slight variations in this thread already!

?

More real the inside wroting is bulgarian, as there is VF for Vojna Fabrika Kazanlak most real, so it should be delivery probably for bulgarians ally in 1917 of the box. This is most real not russian. In 1940 they used old cases.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Another, similar example from my collection, though of later, economy production, with woven hemp handles, leather hinges and a single, buckled securing strap.
    The curious thing about this one is that it was supplied to Russia, in 1917, and stencilled in German and Russian - perhaps to help fuel the revolution and civil war, thus keeping them out of the great war...
    It remained in Russian service in 1941, evidenced by the paper labels pasted inside the lid.
    The german stamping says: 'For machine gun 1000 sharp 8mm Maulicher cartridges, Spandau 1917.' Apparently it was originally a German ammunition box.

Quote by KyleSchuette View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this ammo crate ww1 era? I would just like to know a little more about it if anyone has some knowledge on it. Thank you for the help.
    Stamping says: 'Empty back to the crate refurbishment point at home.'

Quote by NSDAP Sammler View Post
    The german stamping says: 'For machine gun 1000 sharp 8mm Maulicher cartridges, Spandau 1917.' Apparently it was originally a German ammunition box.
    Addendum: On the lid of the box, the German inscription is translated again into another language, which is written in Cyrillic. I can read 'Spandau'.

?

offcoarse there is clear that the first is written in bulgarian cyrilica, the second in german, in front of box second picture is declared the adress Army Military Artillery Inspektion Sofia, so similar should be on the label added on front, inside is 1941 paper labels added, so this box never went back to Germany, but was send in 1917 to Bulgaria and in ww2 reused for MG ammo delivered by Vojna Fabrika. Provereny on side means proofed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast