Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

A guide to headstamps

Article about: I thought I would do a quick guide to cartridge headstamps. I know many of us are well aware of what all the stamps mean, but some people don’t and I think it would be useful to those people

Wow Thanks Pete for the great information and very quick response, very much appreciated.
    All the best
    Mark

?

Hi!

I found the following cartridge case nearby Wr. Neustadt in Austria. I'm assuming that it is .50 BMG caliber as it is about 99mm long and the diameter at the bottom is about 20mm. The headstamp says that it is from 1942 but i couldn't find out the manufacturer with the abbreviation "N L"...

Maybe someone can help me... thank you in advance!

A guide to headstamps
    A guide to headstamps
    A guide to headstamps

MAP
    ?

Quote by anonym View Post
    Hi!

I found the following cartridge case nearby Wr. Neustadt in Austria. I'm assuming that it is .50 BMG caliber as it is about 99mm long and the diameter at the bottom is about 20mm. The headstamp says that it is from 1942 but i couldn't find out the manufacturer with the abbreviation "N L"...

Maybe someone can help me... thank you in advance!

A guide to headstamps
    A guide to headstamps
    A guide to headstamps
    I'm no pro but have used this website in the past.

I don't see N L on there either. We have a number of members here who know quite a bit, hopefully they will see your post

Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi,I can`t find this headstamp,but it`s not necessarily a .50 Browning,it could be a 13.2x99 hotchkiss which was also used by the Germans,the Browning is a 12.7x99 which is very close in size......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Looks like you are right. It's more like a 13.2mm opening than a 12.7 on the top of the cartridge. A pitty that no one knows more about the headstamp.
    But thank you for your help! I apprechiate it!

?

A guide to headstampsHi folks, what does the HEIZ stand for on this 20mm shell? I’m assuming High explosive, a google search brings up the same shell but just has IZ.
    Found on the Isle of Man near a WW2 target range. The farmer remembers his father telling him about shells raining down in the fields as the planes went over !

Quote by Danzig View Post
    A guide to headstampsHi folks, what does the HEIZ stand for on this 20mm shell? I’m assuming High explosive, a google search brings up the same shell but just has IZ.
    Found on the Isle of Man near a WW2 target range. The farmer remembers his father telling him about shells raining down in the fields as the planes went over !
    HEIZ stands for High Explosive Incendiary nitrocellulose propellant (Z).

?

Thanks very much

BMARCO, (British Manufacture and research company) well I never, I had not realised they were that long lived. I visited them in the early 90's near Grantham in Lincolnshire to see cannon ammunition being tested! Oh I believe it is 1Z for the type of nitrocellulose propellant.

The marking is often found on normal SAA as is 2Z ETC. HEI as I recall is not very common with HE being most common and AP then Incdy but I cannot recall HEI although it was made for the Oerlikon but would be marked HEI 1Z, I know was the Blue tipped .303 in for use in aircraft Browning MG's was made on a huge scale and apparently very effective, IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE NEVER, NEVER try to inert a .303 in Blue tipped HEI as they will function. A friend of mine did so in work and it was very interesting for a short while!
    Not a bad guess Danzig, doing this for a living means that headstamps and such become second nature, still I change jobs soon and start doing this full time again.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10