Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identify this

Article about: This obect has me intrigued. I've forgotten how I even came by it. I seem to remember buying a ground dug iron nodule that came from Dungeness??? I broke the iron nodule open and this is wha

?

Default Help identify this

This obect has me intrigued. I've forgotten how I even came by it. I seem to remember buying a ground dug iron nodule that came from Dungeness??? I broke the iron nodule open and this is what came out. I'm guessing it is part of an anti-aircraft shell, but in reality I have no idea what it is. All I do know is it ain't worth nuffin, ecept of course for its interest value. Please help me identify this, thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identify this   Help identify this  

Help identify this   Help identify this  

battery?

?

2inch mortar shell or possibly 3inch

?

I agree with suu23 , i have seen these before dug up from the ground , 2 inch mortar

2" Smoke

Definitely a bog standard 2" Smoke. Just go anywhere in Lincolnshire if you want one! They are known to always surface as soon as any Rugby is on the TV or if you purchase any takeaway meal!

Yep, common as rocks on most UK (inc those overseas) training areas.

There was originally (during WWII) a HE version but it was deleted in UK use as being too dangerous because the 2" mortar was sighted by "rough alignment" using the white stripe painted along the tube

We were still using the smoke and Para-Illum rounds during the '70s and if I recall correctly the early '80s.

Inert and training rounds were often seen as a popular desk/bookcase ornament in offices, training wings etc

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark,

HE carried on into the 1980's. There were also 2" Mortar WP but that was designed to be used from the 2" bomb thrower on AFV's. 2" Mortar chemical filled with Y agent was manufactured but only used in one location for a single trials and never adopted. I've got a 2" Mortar anti-tripwire bomb somewhere and will post a picture of it when I get chance.

I fired 2" Smoke in training and had 5 Bombs! Loved the weapon and with a couple of sighters the remainder could be put into a 10 M circle at about 300 M easily!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Mark,

HE carried on into the 1980's. There were also 2" Mortar WP but that was designed to be used from the 2" bomb thrower on AFV's. 2" Mortar chemical filled with Y agent was manufactured but only used in one location for a single trials and never adopted. I've got a 2" Mortar anti-tripwire bomb somewhere and will post a picture of it when I get chance.

I fired 2" Smoke in training and had 5 Bombs! Loved the weapon and with a couple of sighters the remainder could be put into a 10 M circle at about 300 M easily!
    Thanks Rod, I was not sure exactly when the HE was deleted, I just know that I never even saw it and older NCOs etc would speak of it in hushed tones During infantry basic we were told about it in the context "you'll never see it".

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast