Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help Identify this ordinance please

Article about: I got this at a recycling center. The markings are tough to identify. I can however clearly see the number 50 and No.88 H. Its about 4 1/2" across at widest point and 5" high not i

The shrapnel shell stopped general use sometime post WW1, it was not obsolete but Obsolescent, (still used until the stocks are used up but not manufactured). The governing component would be the GP ejection charge. Being hygroscopic that would have a limited life, even in storage and would dictate how long the stocks would remain viable.

As Teck says "The 105mm Flechette" is a modern derivative and development the shrapnel shell. I do believe that new versions of the shell are around which makes sense as the ability to put a large quantity of 'bullets' in a set, coned area is still useful. If you think of the effect with the kinetic energy imparted by just one of the 'bullets' it is guaranteed to cause damage to both body armoured protected humans and also un-armoured equipment. Flechette is very effective and penetrates well but actual energy imparted is not huge.

Quote by vegetius View Post

I do believe that new versions of the shell are around which makes sense as the ability to put a large quantity of 'bullets' in a set, coned area is still useful.
    without doubt, the 12 gauge and 40mm (M79/M203 Launcher) versions I've seen. They're right nasty pieces of kit

The only problem with this thread is every time I see Ordinance, (American for a municipal By-law) in the title my OCD goes off the scale.

I'm going to lie down in a cool dark room!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2