Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Inert ammo cleaning!!!!!

Article about: Hi guys any tips on whether inert ammo should be left in relic looking state or is cleaning them with BRASSO cleaner a big no no?or is it purely a personal preference thing?regards minnie.

Default Inert ammo cleaning!!!!!

Hi guys any tips on whether inert ammo should be left in relic looking state or is cleaning them with BRASSO cleaner a big no no?or is it purely a personal preference thing?regards minnie.

Default Re: Inert ammo cleaning!!!!!

Purely personal minnie. 99% of the cartridges I dig are just given the soap and water treatment then left. I have taken some back to 'shiney' brass, but only really to use as display pieces, not for any other reason.

If they are really badly tarnished, soak them in white vinegar for 6 hours then give them a scrub with a Brillo pad. This brings most back to shiney. Soak them longer if they're really badly stained. Brasso won't clean ground dug cartridges anywhere near good enough on its own.....

Steve T

Thanks steveregards minnie.

In the case of field finds, I prefer to clean the dirt off them and leave them as is. Inert ammo in my collection never gets cleaned, as I would not want it to wear away lol

?

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    In the case of field finds, I prefer to clean the dirt off them and leave them as is. Inert ammo in my collection never gets cleaned, as I would not want it to wear away lol
    Personally, I agree with Simon, (Shadowwolf).

What few pieces of inert/fired ammunition that I have got, I have left "as is/found" apart from taking off any surface dirt. Personally I prefer them that way.
    For instance, I have a British 105mm shell casing, as fired from the 105mm Light Gun, that my son got me and that hasnt been touched apart from the occasional wipe over with a soft duster cloth, thereby retaining the scorch marks etc from when it was fired.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Due to my years as a sailor when ever I see a brass cartridge I have to clean it with Brasso. It adds a lot to any display. This does not apply to other items which will lose thier value if you clean them. Inert ammo IMO does not fall into this catagory. Just my two bit's.

Thanks
    Burt

Just remembered another method for you Minnie. Get one of those tough scourers, the ones made of coils of steel strips, and some ordinary cillett bang. Get four or five cartridges in your hand, (use rubber gloves because cillett bang eats skin !), spray four or five times into the scourer then the same amount on the cartridges in your cupped hand, (to keep the cillett in contact with the carts). Scrub for 30 seconds, turning your cartridges in your hand as you do so. Watch them go shines as you scrub then rinse off and rub with brasso.............hey presto! Shiney cartridges !

Just remember though, most people like ground dug carts to retain their dirty look. If these are just for a specific display or are not ground dug, clean away