Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Italian Artillery shell "trench art"

Article about: Turning shell casings in vases was standard "trench art" since WW1. This one I bought from a second hand shop in the early 1970's while I was still at school. At the time I assumed

Default Italian Artillery shell "trench art"

Turning shell casings in vases was standard "trench art" since WW1. This one I bought from a second hand shop in the early 1970's while I was still at school. At the time I assumed it was a WW1 shell, partly correct I now know. It is in fact a shell from an Italian Model 1913 65/17mm Mountain Artillery gun. But I have more recently found that the marks 938 indicate manufacture in 1938. These guns were used in WW2 by the Italian Army and the Afrika Korps in the North Africa campaign and presumably in Italy as well. I would think it came to New Zealand with a returning NZ serviceman, who may have also done the trench art modification. It originally was plugged with lead to make it water tight.

Italian Artillery shell "trench art"Italian Artillery shell "trench art"Italian Artillery shell "trench art"

Cartridge Case! Shells are projectiles with some sort of filling. Cartridge cases are the container that holds the propellant.

Rant over.

?

Nice. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.