Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Mills Bomb - No.36?

Article about: Hi Guys, I have recently obtained this Mills Bomb - but know very little about them. I have viewed a couple of websites that were recommended here on the forum, but still have some questions

Fruit and vegetables "Go Off", Detonators either function or Detonate when sufficient impulse is imparted to them.

A Green band around the middle is Amatol either 80/20 or 83/17 filled (used until 1920), Put 1920 it is Baratol or Trotyl A Pink Band was A. Ammonal or B. Alumatol (A = Ammonium Nitrate and Aluminium or B= Ammonium nitrate, TNT and Aluminium). Also tried in the No 36 Gren (Pre 'M') was Cilferite as a main filling. Total weight of main filling is 2 Ounces and 2 drams (approx 65 to 75 g) in all cases.

Other marking include Red X's which indicate the body has been shellac'ed to waterproof it , (suitable for tropical use) and Baratol filled.

Oh, Infanteer, a Red ring around the base that indicates that the grenade has a detonator already fitted, it changes the hazard catagorie for storage and movement but was done. BAR in white may also be found indicating a Baratol filling, this was however discontinued in April 1952.

The Split Ring was exactly that although solid ones were used by some manufacturers as wartime expedience. Both may be encountered with equal originality. Total weight filled is 1 Lb 11.25 Oz. All data from the original publications, (from my work - so official copies of them).

As for the safety advice....... I have encountered the detonators welded into the detonator Channel by corrosion, removal could be sufficient to cause it to function. The ASA in the filling of the detonator can sensitise with time and reaction to the copper body thus making an already sensitive item even worse ! I have recovered several hundred Mills Type Grenades, (No 5, No23 and No36(m)'s) over the years and have on numerous occasions been told , "it's safe, it's empty"! Even with the Filling Plug and Base Plug removed only to find sufficient residue to prove the comment wholly wrong! Any interference, (military term - Tampering) with ammunition can lead to unacceptable risks being taken, if in doubt just Don't !

Unfortunately I only have 40 years as an EOD operator so take the advice as you wish, but the fact I still have 10 fingers says I must be doing something right. I post infrequently but watch often and only hope no one ever carries out actions that are dangerous again, I have had to deal with the results of 'Experts' to often to ever want to do so again.

vegetius, thank you for your service in a rather hazardous profession. I respect your opinion and agree fully that one should always err on the side of caution. I am however trying to make sense of your comment about the red filler ring. First, a red ring and green X's are certainly not a standard marking practice hence the reason I suspect they were added post service. The other thing I'm curious about is that it's always been my understanding that it was strict policy in the British military that ordnance was never to be received from the factory in a primed state. Are you saying that after receipt of the grenades in the field by the end users that the grenades were primed and then painted? Or were they primed at a depot and then delivered to the field in a primed state? This is contrary to everything I've always been told and read so if this is the case it is very interesting.

I hope that everyone doesn't feel that I was trying to come across as an "expert". My comments with regards to my training in explosives in the military was intended to give clout to my comments about the relative danger of detonators in order to counter some of the rather casual attitudes towards detonators by some other forum members.

Be safe everyone. Collecting ordnance is very interesting and a great hobby but it's not worth a serious injury or death for a cool collectible.

Infanteer,

Thank you for your kind comments. Likewise I was not poking you with regards to your service, nor would I ever, indeed one day I will be a Vet, (long from now I hope). I agree fully with you on the Detonator marking. I unfortunately put back the manual that came from, (a rare occurrence in it'self) so will have to re-find it. I do wonder if the Dets for the Booby Traps using 39m were already fitted, (as they were 1 Sec dets)! That may be the answer. I'm currently up to my eyes in some boring Guided Weapons but when I finish I'll have a look.

Oh, I worked with the Canadians doing EOD in 2000 In Kosovo and a damn fine group of people they were. Indeed my 6 months in Wainright was equally good. Indeed I remain in touch with your EOD. Now I must get off too some GM! PM me if you want a chat though as ther is a couple of other things you might be interested in!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4