Who would have thought. I recently discovered the marketplace feature on Facebook and while browsing through the antiques section, boom (no pun intended) I come across a mortar. I figured at $40 I would risk the drive and see this in person. Wise choice.

Here are the photographic fruits of my $40 Facebook Mortar Saga.

The mortar appears to be a WW2 model. Marked "10lbs III C.W. 6/41" Also has what appears to be a symbol contained two of the letter V, one larger and one smaller inside. On the base which I believe is mahogany is a nice plaque which reads; "3 Mortar Bomb Mark III / Made By / Crocker Wheeler Elec. MFG. Co."

When I got it home the base had a few chips in it where someone had tried to pry it off. I added the brass bit to cover the slight damage. In an effort to prevent scratching the plaque, I undid the pins holding it to the base. I am puzzled however. Do you believe this was done by an average person? Perhaps this was done by the factory? I cant find any other Crocker Wheeler mortars either. A curious piece for sure that is one of my coolest finds to date.

My  Facebook Mortar Adventure

My  Facebook Mortar AdventureMy  Facebook Mortar AdventureMy  Facebook Mortar AdventureMy  Facebook Mortar AdventureMy  Facebook Mortar AdventureMy  Facebook Mortar Adventure