Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction

Article about: My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction Followed all the dimensions I could come up with, 3/4” wood outside, with 1/4” partitions inside. Did not paint it, as some were painted and

Default My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction

My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction

Followed all the dimensions I could come up with, 3/4” wood outside, with 1/4” partitions inside. Did not paint it, as some were painted and others just raw wood. Tried to make it look weathered and old. Loaded it with the Amatol 50/50, 2.4 kg. charges. Which were sprayed with liquid rubber, to give them the look of a “bitumastic substance, which they were coated in to make them water proof. Used 200 gram primer charges. Some show three others show one with two wooden blocks to fill the space. I used the three charges. Some of the mines used twenty seven 200 gram charges. Twelve on each side, where the Amatol is shown, and three as primer charges. I thought it was easier to make two Amatol charges rather than twenty seven, 200 gram charges. Used a Z.Z. 42 igniter, with a Sprengkapselin No 8 Fuze.

Picture A:
    Mine with lid on in safe condition, top red strip not showing.

Picture B:
    Shows the mine unloaded, except for the Amatol charges.
    Showing the Z.Z. 42 ignitor, Sprengkapselin No. 8 Fuze, and three 200 gram charges.

Picture C:
    All charges in place.

Picture D:
    Lid on, in armed condition, red strip showing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction   My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction  

My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction   My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction  

What amazing craftsmanship!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Nice work!!!

Sheez! ....scarily realistic - would get any MOD official's heart racing!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Sorry my pulse is still normal, I do like the mine though.

You make a good point though Danmark, a pet hate of mine is when items are reworked to look exactly like the originals. If I cannot confirm it is inert it gets the message. If it is a particularly difficult item It may well get blown up where it is, without movement. If that is inside someones house or property I will be very sorry but I will still do it. I'm sure the you could explain exactly why it is safe EKIM2525 but what if you are not there or worse if it is found after you are dead, (as happens so often). All the EOD Operator from which ever nation has to go on is what they can see, so, STANDBY, FIRING no house!

That said for something as simple to deal with as a Holzmine 42 that would not happen, (unless you got a particularly inept operator, and yes they do exist) but some natures are definate not to be moved, (WW1 Hotchkiss base fuzed 6 Pdrs for example). I just throw this out there as Danmarks comment makes the point well.

Regards,
    R

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Sorry my pulse is still normal, I do like the mine though.

You make a good point though Danmark, a pet hate of mine is when items are reworked to look exactly like the originals. If I cannot confirm it is inert it gets the message. If it is a particularly difficult item It may well get blown up where it is, without movement. If that is inside someones house or property I will be very sorry but I will still do it. I'm sure the you could explain exactly why it is safe EKIM2525 but what if you are not there or worse if it is found after you are dead, (as happens so often). All the EOD Operator from which ever nation has to go on is what they can see, so, STANDBY, FIRING no house!

That said for something as simple to deal with as a Holzmine 42 that would not happen, (unless you got a particularly inept operator, and yes they do exist) but some natures are definate not to be moved, (WW1 Hotchkiss base fuzed 6 Pdrs for example). I just throw this out there as Danmarks comment makes the point well.

Regards,
    R
    To be honest, it looks almost too good.
    But you're right...
    If it looks like a Mine it should be treated as a mine. The Balkans had enough crazies using recovered mines as a House Alarm so personally I'd at least Hook and Line it through the House or remote disrupt if the owner wasn't there to carry it outside himself.

I haven’t worried much about the mine being mistaken for an actual mine, as I have yet to find someone that even recognizes it as a mine. I belong to a WWII Discussion Group and nobody knew what it was. I have displayed the mine at several WWII displays, and again nobody knew what it was until I mentioned what it was to represent. It seems in my part of the US no fear of wooden boxes. As far a the young of today it seems most don’t know there was a WWII, or care. Time have changed. I do have a collection of original mines, glass, concert and metal and all have be exhibited at one time or the other. So I am not really worried about my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Holzmine 42 (Wooden Mine 42) Reproduction  

Ekim2525,
    Again, sorry but I would sack any EOD operator who could not identify something as simple as a Holzmine. I' m so glad you are not worried, my colleagues in the US tend to be a bit more realistic about things however. Actually as serious goes, they are some of the most serious people where ammunition is concerned that I know. Even the new boys, the Homeland Security are really quite good give them a few more years and they will be excellent.
    Still you are not worried so accept the advice if you wish, as an operator of only 42 years experience what would I know.
    Last edited by vegetius; 10-11-2021 at 05:42 PM.

The schuh-mines (new and old) are great little F.....ers for making your heart skip a beat.
    R. I know a couple of Operators from the States that left TMD-B's with Chinese writing behind as not looking enough like Mine's to be dangerous.
    And remember you too were young once....
    If you fire everyone there'll be less Stories to tell and noone elses mistakes to use as example in Class