Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery projectile / grenade

Article about: I have just had a delivery of militaria and inside was this relic case initially thought this was an German egg grenade but it has openings at both ends and the thickness of the metal casing

Default Mystery projectile / grenade

I have just had a delivery of militaria and inside was this relic case initially thought this was an German egg grenade but it has openings at both ends and the thickness of the metal casing is thin. Approximately 65mm diameter by 190mm long, I would appreciate any thoughts on this piece.

Mystery projectile / grenadeMystery projectile / grenade

Looks like the remains of a kampfpistole round to me.

Blackcat,

Not so sure. The walls look a bit thick for a WW2 Egg Grenade of the Kampfpistole version to me! Did the WW1 Egg have a continuous band around any of them?

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Blackcat,

Not so sure. The walls look a bit thick for a WW2 Egg Grenade of the Kampfpistole version to me! Did the WW1 Egg have a continuous band around any of them?
    Yes. The 1917 but that's not it.
    The picture reminds me of a soviet RGD Training Hand grenade.
    At 190mm long it's not going to be a Hand grenade.
    @ History detective: Can you post a picture from the side

Apologies all
    The length of the object is 90mm, here is a side view
    Mystery projectile / grenade

Openings both ends smarts of a Practice with a flash bang type fuze for practice. Some indication where it originated would be good! On second look it does appear as tinplate with a rolled fuze well. It is not a million miles off the American M26 minus the base. The biggest problem is that there are so many 'Egg' grenades from so many countries that the identification is in the detail including history and provenance.

?

It does remind me of a bunch of a series of WW1 French Chemical Grenades. Similar measurements but there really does seem to be a million egg shaped Grenades from all countries

Mystery projectile / grenadeMystery projectile / grenadeMystery projectile / grenadeMystery projectile / grenade

Credit to Lexpev.nl

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Openings both ends smarts of a Practice with a flash bang type fuze for practice. Some indication where it originated would be good! On second look it does appear as tinplate with a rolled fuze well. It is not a million miles off the American M26 minus the base. The biggest problem is that there are so many 'Egg' grenades from so many countries that the identification is in the detail including history and provenance.
    Shape doesn't quite fit for the M26/ M61 (Not round enough) or the L2A2 (which you should be more at Home with). The M312 (Portugal), M26a... (Israel and South Africa), MA/AP (Israel) M791 (South Africa) are all just copies of the same... Which are just as common as the RGD-5/RGO/RGN/Type 59 copies around the world (Not "square" enough). I'm going to Side (If only temporarily) with Jb4046 and blame the French. The picture could be decieving but the shape seems almost unique

I don't know why but try Spain. I seem to remember a grenade like this with an equal shape, but which defeats me at the moment. I also do not have time to do a proper job on this just now!

R

?

From what lexpev says the Spanish used two egg grenade types

The export OF grenade and a exact copy of the French OF grenade called “bola de cama”

And a copy and export use of the polish grenade Zaczepny WZ.23 called “ofensive polaca”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast