Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No.69 Grenade

Article about: Hello folks. Picked this one up last week. These aren't hard to find by any means, but they are hard to locate at a reasonable price. This one is in lovely condition, with most of the painte

?

Excellent explanation Gentlemen. This does sound a little scary. I can see why it was pulled for just drill purposes.
    Thank you Both.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 07-09-2020 at 05:36 AM. Reason: spelliing correction and phone mistakes

It was actually issued to Commando and Paratroops for D'Day, and Arnhem in both the 69 grenade and the Gammon Grenade the No 82. It was in service for the whole of the war with the Home Guard in various guises. When on the No 73 Anti Tank Grenade (4 pounds of High Explosive with an impact fuze that is hand thrown), although that went out of service for a while and was brought back in 1943 for use as a demolition charge until obsolete in Jan 46. The 69 was in service until November 1946 but the 247 also carried on in use for various grenades, the No 70 HE in 1946, the No 77 Smoke WP (or titanium tetrachloride) until Jan 46 but the Mk 2 was predesignated the No77 in 46 under the authority of Ordnance Board Proceeding OB Proc 34159 of 31 Dec 46 and was issued as a training only smoke. The No 79 smoke also used the 247 , (obsolete Dec 45) and the longest use the aforementioned No82 Gammon Grenade the was in active service until June 1954!

It is an incredibly dangerous fuze and when fixed to various munitions even worse, I have just spent the last two weeks beating the next generation of EOD operators over the head with this fact!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    It was actually issued to Commando and Paratroops for D'Day, and Arnhem in both the 69 grenade and the Gammon Grenade the No 82. It was in service for the whole of the war with the Home Guard in various guises. When on the No 73 Anti Tank Grenade (4 pounds of High Explosive with an impact fuze that is hand thrown), although that went out of service for a while and was brought back in 1943 for use as a demolition charge until obsolete in Jan 46. The 69 was in service until November 1946 but the 247 also carried on in use for various grenades, the No 70 HE in 1946, the No 77 Smoke WP (or titanium tetrachloride) until Jan 46 but the Mk 2 was predesignated the No77 in 46 under the authority of Ordnance Board Proceeding OB Proc 34159 of 31 Dec 46 and was issued as a training only smoke. The No 79 smoke also used the 247 , (obsolete Dec 45) and the longest use the aforementioned No82 Gammon Grenade the was in active service until June 1954!

It is an incredibly dangerous fuze and when fixed to various munitions even worse, I have just spent the last two weeks beating the next generation of EOD operators over the head with this fact!
    Thanks for that insight. It makes you wonder why a fuze borne of wartime expedience continued in use beyond war's end, in spite of it being so dangerous.

B.B.

BB, Probably the worst reason ever, the troops liked it so kept using it. That tends to be a real sticking point when you want to introduce something new and better.

Remember the only thing worse than trying to get a new idea into a soldiers head is trying to get the old ideas out! Says the man who's now at 41 years of service and about as old school as they come!
    Last edited by vegetius; 07-10-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Arrow

I've been hankering after one of these for a while and have used this thread for reference. I've been re-reading some Arnhem first-hand accounts recntly and the No69 grenade is referenced a number of times, especially in house-to-house close combat.

So I wanted one for my Arnhem-related collection. I haven't exactly spent a lot on militaria lately so I was prepared to pay a good price for a decent example - and there was just one available at yesterday's Chatham Fair.

I'm sure it's been repainted and the tape is a replacement, but I'm pleased with it. All markings are present on the parts, it disassembles very easily and the safety pin can just been seen below the ball in one of the pics below. I just wanted the one for my collection, and this'll do nicely.

No.69 Grenade

No.69 Grenade

No.69 Grenade

No.69 Grenade

No.69 Grenade
    Last edited by Martin Bull; 01-10-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    I've been hankering after one of these for a while and have used this thread for reference. I've been re-reading some Arnhem first-hand accounts recntly and the No69 grende is referenced a number of times, especially in house-to-house close combat.

So I wanted one for my Arnhem-related collection. I haven't exactly spent a lot on militaria lately so I was prepared to pay a good price for a decent example - and there was just one available at yesterday's Chatham Fair.

I'm sure it's been repainted and the tape is a replacement, but I'm pleased with it. All markings are present on the parts, it disassembles very easily and the safety pin can just been seen below the ball in one of the pics below. I just wanted the one for my colelction, and this'll do nicely.
    A nice example. Replacement parts on ordnance tend not to have as much of an ‘ick’ factor for me, mainly due to the fact that original ordnance in good condition is never cheap. I’ve got a couple of Mills bombs that look to have been repainted by the same bloke who did yours, and they look just fine.

Interesting to see the fuse disassembled also, as I still haven’t gotten round to dismantling mine!

B.B.

Thumbs up

Thanks BB ( and apologies for hijacking your thread ! ). The replacement 'tape' ( actually a cloth strip ) is nicely done. I must say that it's been interesting to research and find out how these things worked.

Some years ago these grenades were easier to find, but I wasn't really interested back then . Good ones with all the 'bits' are harder to find now and - of course - more expensive. It came from a well-known dealer who was happy to discuss the item and show it disassembled.

So it's ticked the box for me.....

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    A nice example. Replacement parts on ordnance tend not to have as much of an ‘ick’ factor for me, mainly due to the fact that original ordnance in good condition is never cheap. I’ve got a couple of Mills bombs that look to have been repainted by the same bloke who did yours, and they look just fine.

Interesting to see the fuse disassembled also, as I still haven’t gotten round to dismantling mine!

B.B.
    BB,

You raise an important point, how do you know it's not live?

Collecting ammunition is all well and good but the question is always how did this once live item become 'Inert'? Secondly how well has the job been done? Thirdly when this illegal act was conducted, (which it is) what happened to the bad stuff that was removed?

I have attended many collectors homes and removed entire collections. When we check, we forensically swab for explosives. If we locate them then it is possible, and has happened that criminal charges will be brought. I'm sure everyone here is far to sensible to fall foul of this but, BUYER BEWARE!

R

P.S. When ammunition, it is Fuze not Fuse which is a 13 Amp type.

Question

Quote by vegetius View Post

how do you know it's not live?
    Good point. I'm admittedly no expert here, but there's a screw in the side of the grenade : -

No.69 Grenade

...and when I unscrew it, sand runs out...

No.69 Grenade

...and I can see right through the tube down the middle which once held the detonating charge....

No.69 Grenade

...so I'm guessing it may be OK ?

Definitely safe. Mine’s the same, empty and with a missing detonator. With a Mills bomb verifying inert status is as simple as unscrewing the base plug.

I don’t think any big-name dealer in the UK would be daft enough to sell live ordnance, whether intentionally or not. They’re businessmen at the end of the day, and no (competent) businessman is going to do anything to compromise his cash flow.

I like the idea of filling inert grenades with sand! Gives them a more realistic weight.

B.B.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast