MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?

Article about: Hi, i need some help. Is this a original wwII period M24 Stick Grenade ? Doing my own research, i found a website with some info about the M24: The German WW2 M24 Stielhandgranate The makerm

Default Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?

Hi,
    i need some help.

Is this a original wwII period M24 Stick Grenade ?

Doing my own research, i found a website with some info about the M24:

The German WW2 M24 Stielhandgranate

The makermarks, early and WaA codes seems to match.

ЯR 791 / WaA136

It appears to be made by:

Friedrich Maurer Söhne, Eisenwerk und Kesselschmiede, München / Freimann

But, the members opinions would be appreciated.

Any Red flags?

How much would it worth?

Regards

Fabio
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?   Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?  

Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?   Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?  

Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?   Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?  

Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?  

All original but put together as head and stick dont match.
    Missing fuse, string, ceramic donut and end cap so price should be based on the cap and shaft individual values .....
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

It's worth mentioning that the head is for the smoke grenade, not the explosive version. This is indicated by the holes surrounding the threads on the grenade head. If I'm not mistaken smoke grenades had a special handle with a white band applied to the middle and two rings carved towards the end. This was to allow soldiers to easily identify which grenade type was which while in low light conditions.

All of the components are original in my opinion, but there is evidence of post war assembly and tampering. The wood handle looks like it's been refinished at some point. It's your preference I suppose. Despite it's issues it's made using all original parts, so in my opinion it's still very collectible.

The waffenampt mark looks like a later addition to me.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    The waffenampt mark looks like a later addition to me.
    This has original paint but no waffenampt inkmark....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original WWII German M24 Stick Grenade?  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

That finish looks like over-painted corrosion in which case the waffenampt cannot be original, combined with the wrong handle and fuze assembly I think this one is a recent 'Bitsa'. So to answer the original question Fabio, yes there is a field full of fluttering bright crimson pennants. However it is still a nice object.

Thanks, guys.

I’m always learning something new here.
    Although it is original, the parts seems to be “put together”.
    That reduced my interest on this item.
    I’ll keep looking for a more collectible, one.

Best regards

Fabio