Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish F1 'Limonka' grenade

Article about: The other day I warned the wife to expect a delivery of a wooden box with a few 'fuses and other bits' inside, and as usual I got the stock question of; 'and when do you think you will be pu

Default Polish F1 'Limonka' grenade

The other day I warned the wife to expect a delivery of a wooden box with a few 'fuses and other bits' inside, and as usual I got the stock question of; 'and where do you think you will be putting that may I ask?' Anyway... while I was at the ranges yesterday morning, a huge and very heavy cardboard box arrived. It was later in the evening before I got around to opening it, but as usual the packaging was very much bigger than the contents. Even the wife didn't seem that put out when she saw the size of the wooden crate. Click on images to enlarge...

Polish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenade

Once I opened the crate I was finally able to get a good look at my latest purchase... 20 F1 'cwiczebny' grenades with 20 sets of fuse and safety parts. The grenade bodies look absolutely mint, although the fuses are a mixture of different date. I am led to believe that production of this type of grenade ceased some time in the 1980's although there are vast amounts of them still in circulation. The label on the lid is dated 1956, although that is no guarantee of when the contents were manufactured. Click on images to enlarge...

Polish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenade

The 'cwiczebny' version of the fragmentation grenade is the training grenade, and the hole in the base is to allow for the safe detonation of the small training charge and smoke. But apart from that, there is little difference between the two types. John (jb4046) pointed me in the direction of a website that gives information of all manner of grenades from different nations, and for those who may be interested, just put; 'grenades, mines and booby traps' into your preferred search engine. The fuses should come stored in tin cans - with 10 fuses per can, but no cans came with this crate. But I was fortunate enough to track down two on fleabay for a nominal sum, and they should be with me in the next few days. Unlike the British fuse tins, these have to be opened with a can opener. Click on images to enlarge...

Polish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenade

The fuses which came with the crate carry dates which vary between 1969 and 1979, with just one example from 1989. Then there are four more fuses which have dates cancelled out with xxxxx and new date added. The earlier dated examples are stamped on the back and front of the safety lever. Click on images to enlarge...

Polish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenade

From 1971 onwards, the markings on the lever changed to a simpler form. Then a few other examples have had their dates crossed out and new ones added. Click on images to enlarge...

Polish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenade

The last two pictures show the components of the fuse and the three inspection labels found inside the crate. The red line on the fuse diagram indicates the point where the fuse was cut off to render the grenades 'safe'. Click on pictures to enlarge...

Polish F1 'Limonka' grenadePolish F1 'Limonka' grenade
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 05-04-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: crap grammar

Nice....and beautifully presented too - thank you.

?

Ahh my identity has been revealed

oh well there are like 5-7 Johns on the forum already!

Really nice set mate. Will make for a awesome display, only item i can think of too improve the set would be to get a cutaway example as to better show the internals as how they would be in the grenade.

Interesting to point out the fuze is the exact same as on the RG-42.

Overall really cool!

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Really nice set mate. Will make for a awesome display, only item i can think of too improve the set would be to get a cutaway example as to better show the internals as how they would be in the grenade.

Interesting to point out the fuze is the exact same as on the RG-42.

Overall really cool!
    The only cut-away F1 grenade I have seen on offer is being sold by JC Militaria for the princely sum of £145. Now given that this box of grenades cost me the equivalent of £10 each, would you buy a cut-away for £145... or find another £55 and buy another crate and sell them off at £25 each, and make a nice profit? Some dealers sell these at £45 each grenade!

Brilliant, great pick up Steve.

?

JC militaria is an awful representation of ordnance prices imo. He sells basic 20mm HE shells at £70-100. I get mine for £20-40! In due time i bet a dirt cheap cutaway will be for sale. He is also selling kwk 40 shells for something like £400 to £600. Got mine for £200. I feel a cutaway at most would be priced about £40

Some people still sell these grenades cheap however..
    Inert F1 Hand Grenade (Auction ID: 305836, End Time : 08 May. 2019 09:48:57) - Quick Fire Auctions

That's still a 100% profit though!

?

That crate is packed, it looks very cool. Another great pick up!

Regards, Rik

A quick update... fuse cannisters arrived today and installed in crate. The colour difference is not quite so noticeable as in the picture.

Cheers,
    Steve

Polish F1 'Limonka' grenade

?

Nice, but the tin with the red stripe isn’t necessarily for F1 grenades rather it’s for this
    Grenade
    CRG-42 practice

It even says CRG42 on the tin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast