Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Is this safe ?

Article about: I got a box with all kind of stuff from ww1 . The ones i could find. Therefore I suppose that also this is from WW1. The only thing i am wondering besides which type this is , on the side lo

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    My two points...
    The brass ring or driving band is not cut so correct one can ascertain, the shell was not fired. Unfortunately this is a QF shell without its case. The fitted Fuze uses a simple set back and doesn't need to be fired to be activated. The state of the shells base allows the assumption that the case was removed a very long time after it was pressed on so it could still be a ground find or even worse a failed demolition that flung the shell, which depending on impact could have activated the Fuze as could a drop from about 2m or repeated drops from less.
    The filling for the mk I and II was very definitely FG and as such coarse black powder.
    Yes the Fuze looks like someone tried to remove it but did they succeed?

By the way Pierre a bucket of wet sand is more effective than foam if you've got one but leaving it simply where it is (as long as it's not going to fall on its own) is always the simplest way of staying safe (if you don't have curious little hands in the house)

Thankyou. I will search for sand. I put in foam so can still pick it up with a shovel at a bit distance to move it out the building to outside.... Maybe then inside a pile off sand. Still has to be taken out safely by whoever is coming... I also found out that these things are not allowed in the Netherlands ( where i am ). Nice " gift" i got from the thrift shop....... ( Kringloopwinkel in Dutch )....

Quote by PierreN View Post
    Thankyou. I will search for sand. I put in foam so can still pick it up with a shovel at a bit distance to move it out the building to outside.... Maybe then inside a pile off sand. Still has to be taken out safely by whoever is coming... I also found out that these things are not allowed in the Netherlands ( where i am ). Nice " gift" i got from the thrift shop....... ( Kringloopwinkel in Dutch )....
    Careful and horizontal in your hand is safer than on a shovel for hopefully obvious reasons. Personally I prefer not touching things unless unavoidable and when then only moving them as far as absolutely necessary

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3