Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Shell extractor tool

Article about: Bit of a puzzler today...I've had this tool in my collection for a while but have been able to find out very little about it since. It was sold as a post war Royal Navy tool for removing she

Default Shell extractor tool

Bit of a puzzler today...I've had this tool in my collection for a while but have been able to find out very little about it since. It was sold as a post war Royal Navy tool for removing shell heads from larger calibre guns. It consists of the cup head shown and a handle that can be extended by screwing on extra lengths. The cup fits over the fuse of a shell (WW2 German 88mm used in the picture) with the sprung 'teeth' on the inside gripping bands or indents around the fuse. The device can then be opened to remove the shell using the clips on either side. I assume it is for pulling a shell up the length of the barrel as opposed to pushing it back out of the breach. Also, I assume it is for a smoothbore weapon so you're not trying to pull a shell through the rifling.

If anyone has seen or heard of one of these before any input would be greatly appreciated.

Shell extractor toolShell extractor toolShell extractor toolShell extractor tool

It is the removal tool for misfired 81mm Mortar bombs.

Excellent, thank you very much

Quote by vegetius View Post
    It is the removal tool for misfired 81mm Mortar bombs.
    Accident waiting to happen