Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Shell identification

Article about: Can anyone identify this shell, it was found in an area used by the Americans dring WW2 for practice. Should the police be informed or is it just a lump of metal now?

Default Shell identification

Can anyone identify this shell, it was found in an area used by the Americans dring WW2 for practice. Should the police be informed or is it just a lump of metal now?

Default Re: Shell identification

I personally would inform the police as soon as you can,tell them where it is and your concerns ,its better to be safe than sorry,

Looks like a sweet potato

Inform the police. Don't move it yourself. It looks like a solid shot shell BUT over the years rust tends to leech over the entire object. If this is the case, the rust could be covering a brass fuse which means it could well be high explosive.

Don't touch it, kick it, prod it or poke it. Mark the spot (or take a Tom Tom with you and mark the exact global position) and provide the Police with as much information about it's location as possible.

Steve T

Thanks for everyones comments, the police have been notified and I believe there is a group heading out tomorrow to try and re-find and mark the location. If i hear anymore I will post

Suber
    ?

I was going to say it looks like all it needs is a few baked marshmallows on top of it!!