Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Some info if possible for my son.!!!

Article about: Can something maybe tell me a little bit more about this shell please its ww1 1916,its for my son who just got given it from a friend.thank you in advance,regards Jake.these are the only pho

Default Some info if possible for my son.!!!

Can something maybe tell me a little bit more about this shell please its ww1 1916,its for my son who just got given it from a friend.thank you in advance,regards Jake.these are the only photo's he sent me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some info if possible for my son.!!!   Some info if possible for my son.!!!  

It's an 18-Pounder shell casing. Fired by the Ordnance QF 18-Pounder, which was the standard field gun of the British Army during WWI. This one would have been manufactured in 1917, going on the date stamped on the primer. A lot of the time you find these engraved. In fact, I'd say plain casings like this one are in the minority. It would be fairly easy and inexpensive to locate a shell head and fuse for it, if your son wanted to complete it.

Some info on the gun here: QF 18-pounder gun - Wikipedia

Regards, B.B.

cheers B.B this forum has such great members with a wealth of knowledge many thanks....