MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some new 8,8 Flak pieces

Article about: Hi guys, just added two more German 8,8 cm anti-aircraft shell casings to my modest Flak collection. Realized I hadn't yet shown all of these so here they are - I currently have six in total

CSW
    ?

Default Some new 8,8 Flak pieces

Hi guys,

just added two more German 8,8 cm anti-aircraft shell casings to my modest Flak collection. Realized I hadn't yet shown all of these so here they are - I currently have six in total, one is still stored away elsewhere. These can occasionally still be found going for 5-10 euros a piece here in Finland.

One of the two new examples has a set of original ink stamps on the side that has survived surprisingly well, I personally haven't seen this often on Finnish-refurbished 88s.

The complete shell was posted as a separate thread a while ago, however I thought it'd be appropriate to have it here as well. After all, "too many 88s" is not a thing...

Thanks for taking a look!

Some new 8,8 Flak pieces Some new 8,8 Flak pieces

My oldest 8,8 with its clear stamps - acquired this many years ago as one of my first pieces of militaria.

And the only complete example I have (at the moment)...

MAP
    ?

Nice! These are great. Wish they were more plentiful over this side of the pond. Not many vets could take one of these home as a souvenir LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

CSW
    ?

Something new: recently came across and bought these two slightly more uncommon brass examples. I already agreed to give the earlier piece to a fellow collector, but the 1939-made one will most definitely stay with me

CSW
    ?

One recent addition, an earlier 1942-dated HE shell of the Stg/Stahlguß variant. Like my other example, this one has been rendered safe and sold off by the Finnish Defence Forces as indicated by the INERT stamp on the driving band.

Unlike the more common stripped and repainted "13 Sk 6 44" batch of Finnish-used 8,8 cm shells, this one does not carry the weak yellow paintwork and does not appear to have been repainted gray either. In fact, I'm rather uncertain about the age of the paintwork and the (otherwise correct) black markings that have been painted on, however I do presume they all have been added after the war. There are no ink stamps visible. I was able to find some examples of this 9 42 -dated batch online, but only one had the black writing my shell retains.

If anyone knows anything about the paintwork or this particular batch of 8,8 cm Flak ammunition, I would very much love to hear your comments!

Cheers and thanks for having a look!

?

I am getting mad deja vu with your shell. Was it for sale on a site recently?

I will have a bash my self trying to find info on it

CSW
    ?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I am getting mad deja vu with your shell. Was it for sale on a site recently?

I will have a bash my self trying to find info on it
    Thanks Jb! Yes, it was for sale on a German site fairly recently, I purchased the piece last month. Here are some of the similar examples I found online, all displaying the same type of (Finnish?) paintwork. The paint is still indeed kind of a mystery to me.

Military Vehicle Message Forums, user "Westland":

Arundel Militaria and Collectors Firearms, a site I unfortunately cannot access:

?

Ah I think I know the dealer now!

I have struggled to find any similar examples. Perhaps export rounds?

?

Found another example on the BOCN

8,8cm Flak projectile / Odd colors

CSW
    ?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Found another example on the BOCN

8,8cm Flak projectile / Odd colors
    Thank you very much for the link! I know the poster, he is a very friendly fellow and quite active within the Finnish militaria community - not sure whether he has an account here on WRF though. I couldn't open the attached picture but it's nice to know I am not the only one wondering about these!

Heres the photo posted by jiipee76 on bocn..
    Some new 8,8 Flak pieces

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast