Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)

Article about: The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914) I hope this thread will be of interest to the forum members as I understand it these grenades are very rare , I

Default The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)

The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)

I hope this thread will be of interest to the forum members
    as I understand it these grenades are very rare ,
    I know over in the U.K they are ,
    ive heard this referred to as the Gallipoli grenade,
    and it was used by the Turkish ottoman forces in ww 1
    ive included a few images for members to look at,
    image 6 I believe is translated as "type 2 infantry grenade"
    image 8 shows one that is complete with a fuse,
    I will be endevering to find an inert one for my grenade,
    but the fuses are as rare s hens teeth as well,
    I should stress that any items of ordnance I show are inert and safe to own in the U.K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)   The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)  

The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)   The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)  

The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)   The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)  

Rare item. I was offered one at work last year.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Nice item was this ground dug?

That's looks like a particularly nice example. I'm also looking for one to add to my WW1 Turkish collection. I don't believe these were used at Gallipoli though and as I understand it, they didn't make an appearence until latter in 1916. They were largely based on the British No.5 Mills bomb after its introduction to the Dardanelles campaign in late 1915 ( post August offensive, in low numbers and to late to have any effect). The main Grenade available to the Turks at the early stage of WW1 and in particular to the Gallipoli and early stages of the Palestine campaigns, was their Ball Grenade in its various forms. Known as the cricket ball bomb/Grenade to the ANZAC's, it had a relatively powerful blast but was lacking in effective shrapnel, exploding into large chunks rather than smaller pieces ( still effective in confined trenches). The Turks had these in overwhelming numbers and used them to maximum effect against the Anzac & associated British forces and as we know, could only be countered by less effective field made jam tin bombs in low numbers. The Germans and Bulgarians also supplied various grenades to the Turks after the Dardanelles campaign.

?

I have one of these grenades recently acquired from an auction along with some other WW1 and2 stuff.
    I have emailed 4 dealers 3 of whom say its an original Turkish WW1 No2 Grenade and 1 who says it may be a reproduction?
    All the other items in the sale have proven to be completely original!

Would be interested in the opinion of members here?
    Would also be interested in any offers to buy?
    I'm told they are quite rare and in this condition could be worth around the £120 mark?
    The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)The "type 2 infantry grenade" Turkish ottoman empire grenade, (1914)

What kind of Turk stuff do you have? Any uniform pieces?

UK EOD deal with at least a couple of these every year at least.
    Oh, by the way be careful with Free From Explosives, (FFE). You would be surprised at how many FFE items are not and that can bite you very quickly in the UK.

I think yours has been dropped a few times Compo as I doubt a fuze would fit to the thread rim? Nicely marked but not something I'd like to unearth under the coil.