Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unknown 32 S&W cartridge, help please!!

Article about: It is a 2 inch mortar propelling charge. I have a book I can look at tonight that has every small arms catridge until 1975. It's a great reference book. This one should be in there, I'll let

?

Default Re: Unknown 32 S&W cartridge, help please!!

It is a 2 inch mortar propelling charge.

I have a book I can look at tonight that has every small arms catridge until 1975. It's a great reference book. This one should be in there, I'll let you know.

Burt - to which book do you refer?

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Sorry, I forgot to grab it. I'll get it out for sure tonight. I can't remember the title but it has all of the oddball and common cartridges.

Burt

Found my book. It's "Cartridges of the world" by Frank C. Barnes 1965. There was a .32 Long cartridge made in 1861 for the S&W Model #2. There were several other handguns and single shot rifles also. The last one made to shoot this was the Single Shot Stevens in 1936. The drawing of the cartridge in my book shows a smooth flat headstamp area with a P in the center. All of the cartridges are hand drawn so I can't definitive in my answer. There were rimfires made in many different calibers from .22 to 56-56 Spencer. Sorry I can't nail it down for you but I think it may be a .32 long rimfire.

Thanks

Burt

?

With the greatest repect, "Cartridges of the World" most certainly does not list every small arms cartridge made up to 1975. It is a very good basic guide and useful for checking bullet weights etc on most commercial and military rounds, but it is no more than that. I have dozens of rounds in my collection not listed there and I only collect British military!

Returning to the round in question, it is not a .32 Long Rimfire. That would not have the "primer" like the example does, would have a copper case and the bullet profile would be quite different. It seems to be a .32 Long centrefire with either some form of patent primer or is a snap cap or similar as has been suggested. Unfortunarely I can be no more helpful than that.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2