Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

US Mk2 grenade paint question please

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, Have any of you ever come across a solid OD colored grenade like this with red paint around the upper neck? It's a solid bottom grenade and the paint appears to be original.

Default US Mk2 grenade paint question please

Hello Gentlemen,

Have any of you ever come across a solid OD colored grenade like this with red paint around the upper neck? It's a solid bottom grenade and the paint appears to be original. The red paint appears to have been on it for a long time judging by the photos. The ink has worn off of the fuse which has been modified judging by the black paint on the handle.

I know there were training grenades pre-war that were all red, but this is a wartime OD painted body, but without the yellow band. Just wondering what it might have been used for.

Thanks, James

US Mk2 grenade paint question pleaseUS Mk2 grenade paint question please

MAP
    ?

This is interesting. Never seen one like this before. At first I thought someone maybe tried to remove the red paint but I do see the the olive green paint so that theory is out the window.

Would be good to see the whole grenade. What does the fuse look like? How long is the handle. I think the practice grenades had a shorter handle.

That said, after some digging I think I might have found a similar one. A bit less red paint. It is named the "Grenade, Hand, Practice, Mk. II" used with the Fuse/Igniter- M10, M10A1, or M10A2

Here is the link.

American Grenades

I know little about these. Only having a couple basic ones that I picked up along the way.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Great link Michael,
    It does look like the
    "Grenade, Hand, Practice, Mk 2A1"

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Great link Michael,
    It does look like the
    "Grenade, Hand, Practice, Mk 2A1"

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I was not sure if the photo is for the Model description above or below the photo. So either the Mk 2A1 or the Mk 2

Part of the fun here is doing some exploratory hunting. Sometimes I get lucky and learn something new in the process
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the information, much appreciated! Here's a full view..

US Mk2 grenade paint question please

The standard markings according to the 1930 and 1936 Manuals are HE - Yellow body, Practice is painter blue, Drill or 'Dummy' - Black. However in the 1942 Manual are: HE - Yellow band around fuze well neck, Practice - blue, drill or 'dummy' - Black. In 1943 this changes to HE - An Olive Drab overall non-significant body colour, and Practice - blue, and Drill - Black.

That said I do recall some years back seeing that Grenades were marked differently I believe dependant upon theatre of operation. However I cannot remember which document I read that in, (although it would have been an official one). This however has peaked my curiosity so I will dedicate some time to looking into it.