Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What is this shell and is it safe?

Article about: We have "inherited" a chromed artillery shell. Family lore says my wife's grandfather apparently returned to NZ it with after fighting in WW1, Egypt and Gallipoli. He was invalided

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    I'd be careful with that claim if I were you. Such mistakes led to Mistrust against "Dropshorts"
    The keyholes are used to fix together and then the Fuze into the Shell. The Mobile Ring adjusts the Fuze time
    Nice relic. Please don't google Dropshorts because you are liable to get a shock! Glad it's a safe one, you need a sturdy mantelpiece for it.

A big thank you to Teck 147 for that detailed analysis. Not something I fancy for our mantlepiece but I will see if other descendants would like it so it stays in the family. Apparently getting anything out of my grandfather about the war was very difficult until about 2 days before he died, where talked about nothing else. Thanks again for that work.

Oh, and yes, high and very, very, dry. I am deep south preparing to swelter in 30C heat as fohn wind from the storm comes over the Alps.

You are most welcome.
    I don't wonder too much that most survivors don't (or didn't) talk openly about their experiences in man's most horrific moments. Experience has taught me some don't want to burden their loved ones and others just don't believe that someone who can't relate to it could possibly understand. That's why the RSA's, RSL's and all the others are so important.
    I do genuinely hope that the Shell can stay in the Family were it has the highest meaning but if his Descendants can't be convinced then a permanent loan to the Army Museum in Waiouru is always an option worth considering.

The fact that it is Turkish and the OP's grandfather was at Gallipoli is strongly suggestive of a souvenir from that battle field. Great family history piece, and one any NZ Museum would like to add to their ANZAC collection.

Teck,

Well done you are getting there. I would leave the practical side to the Missus and carry on with the basic munitions learning it seems to be working. Minor one though, It is always worth remembering that in a T&P even though the time rings have functioned the Percussion element can remain live. Always a good failure point on assessment!

A lot of these crop up in the Balkans, apparently a train load of them was, shall we say, intercepted during the war and as a result they crop up with monotonous regularity in that region. Oh, and well done, 100% on the ID, (I must find you a better challenge).

R

Wink

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Teck,

Well done you are getting there. I would leave the practical side to the Missus and carry on with the basic munitions learning it seems to be working. Minor one though, It is always worth remembering that in a T&P even though the time rings have functioned the Percussion element can remain live. Always a good failure point on assessment!

R
    Can't be A*!ed translating the Worm again. Here's the French description of the German it copied

What is this shell and is it safe?

The question "is it Safe" is relative and understood to mean is it going to blow my House up if it falls off the mantelpiece.
    in short: if one were to drop it on an old WO's chest it could be claimed to be the source of his current ailment and he would most likely describe it as "Dangerous" or "unsafe" but that wouldn't change what Belot said about the Family.

It remains to be said that if I translated it right and the Godfather described the original correctly then it is unlikely that the Instantaneous survived the burster as the powder train functioned it (the Instantaneous didn't cause the function because we can still clearly read the tip)

Teck,
    When was unlikely an acceptable level of risk. That's working at your bosses level.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Teck,
    When was unlikely an acceptable level of risk. That's working at your bosses level.
    You do give him too much Credit. He's more of the "No Idea what's in there" "but it's never gone off on me before" kind of guy

Back to is it safe and how unlikely is unlikely enough:
    I will of course force you to agree that the (depending on Shell loading) 50-90g complete weight of black powder burster with the 8,000-approx 30,000psi that it can generate depending on the compression rate (thread Material and length) is more than enough to dispose of a piece of waterproof paper or a ⅒mm Brass plate, one of the two originally covered the Powder Charge against water ingress and as the Shell functioned was the only protection the more than sensitive Lead Styphnate Impact Percussion Cap could rely on.
    As you are well aware. If it's FFE or not depends more on local legislation and who's doing the screwing than the practicalities or dangers of explosives themselves. I've heard of people being charged (and convicted) over Nano-particle amounts of PETN. But the South Island of New Zealand doesn't naturally speak German so I can't imagine that's going to be an issue this time

There is nothing wrong with swab level trace to gain your objective. I have never known it not lead to bigger and better. PETN, Pentaethyltetranitrate ? I thought that was WW2, I realise that NZ has some slightly unusual ways but as I raised your old boss be assured I taught him well, (he was not bad but did get a bit excited when shot at).

My point is not on the survivability of the point initiating explosive train which we both know is sufficiently low as to be negligible when the initiating charge functions, but that a partial in the time rings which will still leave the pressure release panel blown out but leave a live blind fuze. For you, you'd better be able to spot if this is the case, but for the other non-job experts this can be challenging. The shiny 75 I agree completely with you, I have however had a nickled 18 pdr that was live, go figure! But the chance of that is minimal but requires checking. More common is pusher plate and flash tube in situ with BP charge still in place. That is not uncommon and Im sure you like me hate BP with the distrust it deserves.

R

P.s. Tek that other job has hit the news now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2