Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Ww2? Bullet identification.

Article about: Hi all, I am looking for some help identifying a bullet of mine. I am guessing it is ww2 era, as I found it with some 1944 .303 SMLE rounds. I don’t really know much about firearms and amm

Default Ww2? Bullet identification.

Hi all,

I am looking for some help identifying a bullet of mine. I am guessing it is ww2 era, as I found it with some 1944 .303 SMLE rounds. I don’t really know much about firearms and ammunition, so I am looking for some help. I have compared it to other photos, and it looks similar to a .50 cal bullet.
    The main difference I can find is that this one is very pointed. There doesn’t appear to be any markings on this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2? Bullet identification.   Ww2? Bullet identification.  

Ww2? Bullet identification.  

Appears to be an armour piercing round of some kind. The tip/core looks to be made of tungsten.

B.B.

Not seen one that has been remodelled like that before. If it’s not a failure in manufacturing then it’s happened during firing. Others will opine further.

Thanks for the information, Blackcat and Brodie. I should take it into my military dealers and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks again.

.50 In Armour Piercing round with the Cupro/Nickel jacket broken off. However the diameter of it is required for positive identification.

I'm pretty sure you're right but...
    Just to confuse the issue a little. There has been production of short-range .50 Cal ammunition where the Jacket point was never there to start with
    The last ones I saw were of French Origin where the penetrators were conical and not ogival

Thanks for the information, everyone.

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're right but...
    Just to confuse the issue a little. There has been production of short-range .50 Cal ammunition where the Jacket point was never there to start with
    The last ones I saw were of French Origin where the penetrators were conical and not ogival
    Teck,

I've seen those. Were they AP as I thought they were reduced range prac rounds?

R

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Teck,

I've seen those. Were they AP as I thought they were reduced range prac rounds?

R
    The ones from RUAG ammotec and FN herstal are def. reduced range "Ball" prac rounds but they're probably still in production.
    The ones we incinerated were belted, older and had an obvious core