Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 German bomb parts iD help please

Article about: My father or grandfaher picked these bits up during WW2 and made a doorstop by turning the nose cone around, it is solid iron/steel with a flat base. I can't find any images of bombs with th

Quote by rus View Post
    It is certainly simiilar, and I learned something today as I had never heard of tail pistols.

I have found some markings under the paint, so with the arrow it is definitely British?
    It's a Royal Laboratory Fuze/Pistol so yes, the RAF very definately bombed Lincolnshire. And why not?
    I do have a book with these Fuze Types but it's at Work and I'm on leave.

Complete agreement kid. Probably from either one of the permanent bombing ranges such as Donna nook or Theddlethorpe or possibly one of the dozens of wartime ranges that the area had. My bet would be one of the permanent ones as a RL is probably pre-war or at best very early war.

Oh how this takes me back to 4 happy years covering that area! More bombs than you could shake a stick at and an incredible wide variety.

R

Forgot about the Pedastal...
    Can you post a Picture of the Base (the flat side) Glenn is probably right that it's a "Spargel" for the SD50 (50kg Frag)

rus
    ?

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    Forgot about the Pedastal...
    Can you post a Picture of the Base (the flat side) Glenn is probably right that it's a "Spargel" for the SD50 (50kg Frag)
    Noit much to see, surface is a little uneven.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German bomb parts iD help please  

Certainly fits the description of the first rods on the SD50 and SD70 up to 40-41 (They were just rough cast mushrooms with a steel rod joining them to the bomb). The original mushroom design was rubbish anywhere other than the desert and even there the rods were to thin so they often just collapsed without delivering enough imulse to the fuze, thus the Daisy Cutter effect wasn't achieved. I imagine the whole thing was fairly quickly refined into the DIN St70 here:

WW2 German bomb parts iD help please

Quote by rus View Post
    As far as I know they were dropped in Lincolnshire in England, and father/grandfather picked the bits up locally - there were some bomb-holes in nearby fields.
    Hi rus,
    Sorry it took so long.
    I've searched through everything we've got and I can't find your fuse. Although it is almost identical with other known ones.
    Leads me to believe that it probably wasn't "dropped" on Lincolnshire at all. But may well have been a Royal Laboratory bomb Test that was mortard down range at a time when aircraft weren't common enough to have one around for the purpose.

Hi rus,
    Sorry it took so long.
    I've searched through everything we've got and I can't find your fuse. Although it is almost identical with other known ones.
    Leads me to believe that it probably wasn't "dropped" on Lincolnshire at all. But may well have been a Royal Laboratory bomb Test that was mortard down range at a time when aircraft weren't common enough to have one around for the purpose.
    Teck,
    Makes sense. I've had several experimental items around there and have records for numerous trials carried out in the area. Do remember that the Luftwaffe carried out their own with the SD2's in Grimsby!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Teck,
    Makes sense. I've had several experimental items around there and have records for numerous trials carried out in the area. Do remember that the Luftwaffe carried out their own with the SD2's in Grimsby!
    You guys weren't too forthcoming with feedback on that one, otherwise the Luftwaffe would have certainly carried out more extensive tests with the SD 2 thus enabling a far greater number of young operators the chance to play Roulette.

I only have vague references to the Bomb tests between the wars however I do recall reading a quite extensive analysis of British Bomb development Post-WW1 but can't remember where I found it.

A lot of details are in OB Procs which are not common. I have a full set but it is about 40 volumes and no index!

rus
    ?

Hi rus,
    Sorry it took so long.
    Thank you Teck. I agree it probably wasn't dropped on Lincolnshire.
    I asked my brother what was said of the origin and he thought it was WW1. My father did pick up some unexploded incendiaries so it seems I inferred that he picked up all the bomb parts in the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2