Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

17th C. italian left-handed dagger?

Article about: I'm not a blade wonk, but looks quite old to me. and if it's not, a double-fuller'd blade I reckon would mean a lot of work on a faker's or replica-maker's part. insights, please, ye learned

?

Default 17th C. italian left-handed dagger?

I'm not a blade wonk, but looks quite old to me. and if it's not, a double-fuller'd blade I reckon would mean a lot of work on a faker's or replica-maker's part. insights, please, ye learned gentlemen! thanks heaps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 17th C. italian left-handed dagger?  

?

too, what seems t/b a hand forged blade, and all the braided wire work might suggest 16th. C. mightn't it? on the other hand that pommel looks outsized to me - possible replacement?

?

c'mon folks - a little assistance if you please!

CBH
    ?

All I can say many early weapons of this type are Victorian remakes , made to fill a growing demand in the mid 19 century . And one poor photo doesn't give much information to go on . Post more and detailed photos and maybe you'll get a more detailed reply . Also this Forum is mostly devoted to WWI and WWII , and this item falls well outside of that description . Good Luck

?

thanks a lot chris; great points and I hear you re the forum. anyhow a major dealer thinks it's good based on the pix and wants me to consign it. these things seem to go for about $500-850USD i/c you or our mates here get oneā€¦ best, david