Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Australian Army Lithgow Machete

Article about: Hello everyone, Finally managed to get my hands on an Australian Army Machete, this one being made in 1967 at Lithgow small arms in NSW. I think its had some form of coating applied and the

?

Default Australian Army Lithgow Machete

Hello everyone,

Finally managed to get my hands on an Australian Army Machete, this one being made in 1967 at Lithgow small arms in NSW. I think its had some form of coating applied and the sheath has seen better days - I've seen a few 1980s made replacement sheaths but this looks to worn for that. The only markings are the broad arrow MA67 which is the Lithgow mark and the scabbard fastener is marked CARR FAST AUSTRALIA indicating manufacture by Carr Fastener Company in South Australia. I've been looking for one of these for a number of years but for some reason they go for crazy money in good condition sometimes upwards of $400 AUD strange considering I think I remember seeing some in a local hardware store as a kid 30 years ago for next to nothing.

Any comments welcome

Alex

Australian Army Lithgow MacheteAustralian Army Lithgow MacheteAustralian Army Lithgow MacheteAustralian Army Lithgow Machete

Nice looking machete. Here's a photo of some NZ soldiers in Vietnam, November 1970. The guy at left with his back to camera may have one of these?

Australian Army Lithgow Machete

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Nice looking machete. Here's a photo of some NZ soldiers in Vietnam, November 1970. The guy at left with his back to camera may have one of these?
    Its possible ...
    But I miss one of the four handle rivets in the photo.

Australian Army Lithgow MacheteAustralian Army Lithgow Machete

Nice machete. I have not ever seen one before. Thanks for sharing.
    John

?

Possibly could be Anderson - great photo either way.