Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Australian L1A2 Bayonets-Short & Long

Article about: These are both L1A1 SLR bayonets as made by the Lithgow small arms factory-one of bayonet collecting little jokes they have no serial numbers, proof marks, makers name or stock codes-the com

It seems, there´re australian "L1A3" ( ) bayonets also ...
    Australian L1A3 bayonet to the semi-automatic rifle L1A1 SLR

There were some Australian L1A2 bayonets that were refurbished with British L1A3 grips, see Skennerton (British & Commonwealth Bayonets) page 292 (reproduced hereunder).

I bought one of these refurbished bayonets at a Sydney gun show in the 1990's see photo.

Skennerton doesn't say why the grips were sourced from Britain, presumably the quantity of grips was too small to warrant Lithgow manufacture, or maybe Lithgow had moved on to other things.

Source:
    L1A3 bayonet, wich country ? | Gunboards Forums

Offered is a pretty interesting variation of the Australian L1A2 bayonet. The bayonet blade, guard and hilt are L1A2, which appears to be produced in 1960. But the grip scales are L1A3s marked to Enfield. I remember Skennerton made a comment in his book about refurbishing L1A1s to L1A3s, but I never found anything regarding the Aussie bayonets. I can only assume that this was part of that program, however the catch is not modified with the recess of the L1A3.I have not been able to find anything that matches this exactly, So anything I can add is simply (more) speculation, so I'll leave that alone.The condition is very good overall, except for the right side of the pommel where it appears the armorer worked on this during cocktail hour.
    Source:
    Australian L1A2 Bayonet ~ Unique with British L1A3 Grips | #1864712629

?

I had a look at the link,
    It only states L1A3 in the heading title to attract attention.
    It's purely speculation on the sellers part to hype it up . Ive got the book too.
    L1A3 is British only , and quite rare . L1A1 to L1A3 conversions are rare these days as well .
    It's a case of the internet repeating itself long enough so that over time people start believing it .
    All that that guy is selling is rusty L1A2's with a British grip & a good story to go with it .
    And at 160 Euros a pop , cleaning up big time Id guess

Cheers Rick

Quote by Rick W View Post
    It's a case of the internet repeating itself long enough so that over time people start believing it .
    All that that guy is selling is rusty L1A2's with a British grip & a good story to go with it .
    Cheers Rick
    Hi, Rick,
    do you really think such australian L1A2´s with british L1A3 hilts mounted, in this case, manufactured by Enfield, were made by Bubba ? ...
    I don´t think so.

Best regards,
    R.

Some more images of the bayonet there:
    L1A2 for the SLR L1A1 Aussie in NAM ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3