Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet cleaning help

Article about: Hello, I recently purchased this 1898 bayonet and noticed there is a black paint coating it. I was wondering what I should do to remove the paint. Thank you for the help.

Default Bayonet cleaning help

Hello, I recently purchased this 1898 bayonet and noticed there is a black paint coating it. I was wondering what I should do to remove the paint. Thank you for the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bayonet cleaning help   Bayonet cleaning help  

I would avoid using harsh strippers and try mineral spirits. I used brake fluid to take paint off a K-BAR and the bluing underneath survived. Try it on a small spot and see if the paint begins to break free. If it does use a rag to take off what you can and any harder spots 4 ought steel wool and be gentle.

The metal parts require different help than wood parts. Paint stripper will work on the metal parts, clean and oil promptly. Use minimal stripper on the grips and not on the pole. Or not at all. Mineral spirits may work well on the wood and would be the least harsh of other options.
    John

Wont paint stripper strip everything off the blade? Including any possible bluing underneath?

It has not when I have used it. Paint stripper is not a rust remover typically.
    John

?

There was only polishing and stain rust on the surface, no blueing, so You should gently remove the paint on metall. Certainly should be used not scratching method, that could cause damage on wood or on surface.