Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A bayonet to a Remington rifle with a "W" mark ?

Article about: Good evening! On the bayonet - the mark "W." What does this mean? Photos so far only such.

?

Have no confirmation about L stamps as Liege, possible is it other blade producer marking? br.Andy

?

One of the versions. I met it several years ago on one site.

The "W" looks like an inspector mark, similar to what's seen with French made bayonets of the period. Inspector could be imbeded in the Weyersberg factory in Solingen, as British inspectors were also for bayonets sourced from Solingen (it's not a British mark). I wouldn't get too hung up about the w, it's a minor point in the whole package.

?

I agree. This stamp is very similar to the inspector's stamp. Such inspectors were in foreign factories. For Solingen, "B"is often found. There was probably another "I" inspector.

Am I wrong about this model... or were these later purchase by the Argentines and cut down, redesigned (and stamped) to fit the 1891 Argentine engineer carbines? I’ve attached some photos of the one I purchased several months ago. Unfortunately, somebody chromed the scabbard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A bayonet to a Remington rifle with a "W" mark ?   A bayonet to a Remington rifle with a "W" mark ?  

A bayonet to a Remington rifle with a "W" mark ?   A bayonet to a Remington rifle with a "W" mark ?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2