Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bayonet for a school rifle

Article about: Good afternoon! Met such a bayonet for a school rifle. Feature-the crosspiece and handle are completely made of brass. There is a number on the crosspiece. The blade is non-standard. What co

?

Personally believe there was similar bayonet in j.Maddox site and most real is published in his book. The bayonet with 40cm blade is not kinder is mostly cadet as attachable on rifle and there is serial number of the rifle. The blade could be used from other weapon but this is not too confirmed. You should ask french experts about.

A cadet would possibly be a "kinder", but question is really is it private purchase or made for some sort of youth training unit.

?

For me its a cadet piece that was servicable, possible marked to a school, with functionable rifle, even smaller caliber, so in reality used by cadets in age of 14-18 for me, not children like 6-10 years. I saw any child bayonets it were mostly replicas on non fireable rifles of 50%scalling. But when You means Kinder is correct designation for teenes so no problem with.Wout made here any hypothesis, i would ask the french experts or look to sources as books.
    From serial numbering i wouldnt think its a private purchase.

?

Showed the photo on the French website. So far, I have received one opinion – a kind of school bayonet.
    Sent a question to Ch. Mery-waiting for an answer.

Gras m/74 rifles were modified to 8mm Lebel and widely used for training/rear line use in WW1 and into WW2-there were also a wide variety of smaller Lebel type Cadet rifles-given the overall size of French military and paramilitary forces, pretty much anything is possible over the decades!

?

I agree with your opinion. A friend of mine brought a dozen bayonets from France for school rifles. And they are all different. But with a brass handle-only two. And the blades on them are different, and not the same as the Gra. One of these bayonets is currently being discussed.

?

This bayonet has all configuration signs as a early weapon 19century, with 17mm MRD it should be normal 11mm cartridge most real of smaller loading as normal Gras1874. So personally dont believe its for later Lebel reconfigurations.

?

Additional photo.

?

Made for comparison photos of school bayonets of different types.

?

Compared the scabbard. A bayonet with a cast handle has a noticeable difference in the bracket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast