Kpemig.de - Top
Display your banner here

British Gurkha Khukuri commercial copy

Article about: Hello everyone, Not sure if anyone will be interested in this. I have wanted a military issued Gurkha Khukuri or Kukri for a long time but they are hard to find here in decent condition and

?

Default British Gurkha Khukuri commercial copy

Hello everyone,

Not sure if anyone will be interested in this. I have wanted a military issued Gurkha Khukuri or Kukri for a long time but they are hard to find here in decent condition and I've never been able to distinguish between military, commercial, fake and tourist pieces.

Whilst trying to research the above I discovered a little about the current issue British Gurkha Khukuri called British Standard Issue which has been issued since about 1990. Recruits are issued two of these Khukuri, one called Service No.1 which is the parade version with polished handle and blade and patent leather scabbard. The other is called Service No.2 which is for field use with unpolished blade and buffalo hide scabbard. Both versions have buffalo horn handle with brass guard, pommel and chape. They also both have a Karda (small knife) and Chakmak (sharpening tool. Apparently Gurkhas have the option of carrying a private purchase or family Khukuri for field use instead of the Service No.2.

Each year a Nepalese company wins the contract to supply the British Army and it seems they each take a hit at least once just so they can market that they have been an official supplier.

This is a Service No.2 from Khukuri House who have been an official supplier. It definitely has a hand made feel rather than being mass produced it and didn’t break the bank at $69 USD.

Any comments welcome

Alex

British Gurkha Khukuri commercial copyBritish Gurkha Khukuri commercial copyBritish Gurkha Khukuri commercial copy

?

I have my dads one somewhere in my house. I think he bought his own one though for his jungle training. They are pretty cool

I like it! I have my Dad's at home too but don't remember where at now, sturdy weapon with a very sharp blade, I'll check if I find it and put some photos, it's almost identical to yours even if mine is form the 60s

Nacho

Very nice, I do love kukri’s. I have some WW2 kukri’s (shown in the link below)
    Show your WW2 Kukri

There was one for sale in a local auction house a few years ago with a massive blade, I think it was about 20” long. Unfortunately it’s not really my collecting area but I did have a price in my head that I’d go to if it was going to be cheap

I think the image below is of the same one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Gurkha Khukuri commercial copy  

All the military Kukri's that were once part of my collection were either WD stamped, or had a recognised makers mark for the military - and had wooden handles which were riveted on. If there are no markings, how can you prove it is for military use? This Kukri belongs to a family friend who has asked me to dispose of it for him. He purchased it in Nepal in 2003 on the understanding that it was a military Kukri for parade use. But it could just as easily be a tourist piece.

Cheers,
    Steve

British Gurkha Khukuri commercial copyBritish Gurkha Khukuri commercial copyBritish Gurkha Khukuri commercial copy

?

Thanks for the replies,

JB5046 and Nacho - Id like to see you father's, feel free to post photos if you find them. The British model from the 60's to 80's looked pretty similar to this one but they were only issued one rather than two.

Grimebox - Nice little collection you have there. I believe those bigger ones are for ceremonial / religious use.

Steve - I think the WW2 and earlier military models were all marked with acceptance stamps. They stopped using wooden riveted handles in the 50s.

I haven't seen any of these post 90s ones with military marks, did they stop putting acceptance marks on them or have I just not seen a proper military one? Considering they only make 100-150 military Khukuri for the British Gurkhas each year and they retire with the soldier the chances of getting one are almost zero. Many current military bayonets are not acceptance marked and are identical to commercial versions, so the lack of marks on Khukuri does not surprise me. Without marks and unless you obtain it directly from the soldier, you'll never know if it was military issued.

My one is a commercial copy - Id say your friend's is the same (but the No.1 parade version) however there is a slim chance it could have been military issue, from whom did he purchase it from in Nepal? Tourist piece refers more to cheap Khukuri found in a market etc that doesn't look like a military type.

Alex