MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918

Article about: by Correus Hello Everyone! The bayonet finally arrived and I got some additional pictures. I tried to get a picture of the maker's marks on the leather part of the scabbard but didn't have a

Default Re: British SMLE 1907 Pattern Sanderson Bayonet Dated May 1918

HGR - Hepburn Gale and Ross. Leather manufacturers of Bermondsey, South London.

Still around today trading as Barrow & Gale - makers of ministerial red boxes and upmarket luggage.

Kris77
    ?

Hi can anyone know a what a X5 over E and N S W on a 1907 bayonet dated aug 1909
    thanks Kris

NSW - New South Wales I think.

The other mark is an inspection stamp.

Hi guys I have a Sanderson 1907 Bayonet I dont know much about it besides that my Dad found it about 45-50years ago near a railway track in kwazulu natal in Escourt South Africa,I would like to know the history of this bayonet and how it ended up there I assume it has something to do with the war between the british and the zulus in south Africa i think that this blade was actually used in war...I also want to know what its worth??? My email mubeennabbie@gmail.com

Post #9 " There is no right way to put the blade into scabbard"

Oh yes there is, the scabbard should be vertical and not in any other orientation as if the leather is supple and droops as you push the bayonet into it the point will be scraping the top edge of the scabbard do that enough times and you can ruin a scabbard as scraping will build up until you cannot fully seat the bayonet.
    I use Balistol on my bayonets/handles as it is also for metal & leather products so it does not worry the scabbard if your worried about it just use dubbin on the scabbard.

Post #24 ~ Give us pictures so a determination can be made as it could have laid out in the weather for years!
    Condition is everything as one conjurs up vision of a bayonet in relic condition it wont be an '07 if it fought the Zulu's around that era of 1879'ish.
    Last edited by CINDERSII; 08-23-2018 at 03:44 AM.

Quote by mubeen nabbie View Post
    Hi guys I have a Sanderson 1907 Bayonet I dont know much about it besides that my Dad found it about 45-50years ago near a railway track in kwazulu natal in Escourt South Africa,I would like to know the history of this bayonet and how it ended up there I assume it has something to do with the war between the british and the zulus in south Africa i think that this blade was actually used in war...I also want to know what its worth??? My email mubeennabbie@gmail.com
    I suggest you post some photos and we can make some comments. But in general a P1907 being found in South Africa would not be surprising as it was likely used by SA Army up until 1950's. Nothing to do with the Zulu wars or Michael Cain, different rifle and bayonet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3