MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Chinese M56-II bayonet for export

Article about: Hi, mates, I have a "brown" Chinese export model of a "Model 56-II" bayonet here. In contrast to the "black" ones (I can't remember if I've ever shown a "b

Default Chinese M56-II bayonet for export

Hi, mates,

I have a "brown" Chinese export model of a "Model 56-II" bayonet here.
    In contrast to the "black" ones, (I can't remember if I've ever shown a "black" bayonet of this model here in the WRF ?), they are less common.

The scabbard of the bayonet which I am showing here was equipped with a belt carrying device from the NVA of the former GDR when it was purchased.
    Provenance of the safety strap, looped in the pommel of the bayonet, also NVA.

The bayonet shows clear signs of use, as well as storage, and signs of corrosion and it is quite possible that this bayonet actually saw use in military conflicts in the Balkans.
    Of course, just (purely) speculation...

Nevertheless, I removed these parts from the bayonet and scabbard to restore the original delivery condition.

Do any of you know the exact type designation of this bayonet?
    I've seen the following names:

M59 Kalashnikov bayonet, export, and, as M59 Kalashnikov bayonet, export model without cutter device

Model 56-II

Bayonet M59 for the MPi 56 Export, ( NORINCO ), made in the People's Republic of China

AKS-56-1 Export bayonet for Norinco Semi-Auto AK
    AK Export Bayonets

AKM TYPE II China
    Bayonets of China

This bayonet model was always delivered without a carrying strap (belt loop).
    But sometimes with a chromed steel belt hanger.

Here in Austria and Germany such pattern bayonets sometimes appear showin´ carrying devices, (belt loops), from AKM models of various European armies.
    Perhaps also because in the armed conflicts in Europe up to thirty or twenty years ago, (especially in the Balkans), many other (blank) weapons were procured and used by the conflicting parties on the "free market".

In my opinion it cannot be ruled out with certainty that bayonets, offered by various European hunting outfitters and dealers, found their way into various conflict areas in the Balkans in the hands of volunteers, paramilitary units and "weekend warriors" privately purchased and also not that such, Chinese, "export pieces" have been "supplemented" with currently available AKM belt carrying systems of various provenance and, thus, "on the man" "in action" had to be fastened to the belt.

I have seen this Chinese export model in internet auctions in Germany with carrying devices from Poland, Russia, the NVA, as well as Chinese carrying devices from Chinese export models of other edged weapons.

This compact bayonet was/is (definitely !) a quite "operational" close combat weapon and also good to use as a utility knife!

As already mentioned, this bayonet is not equipped with a device for cutting barbed wire or wires and cables.
    This Chinese bayonet model also has no back serrations, ("sawteeth").

I could not find any stamping on this bayonet.

If any of you have further information on this Chinese export bayonet model, I would be happy to receive information about it.

Thanks in advance,
    R.
    Chinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for export
    Last edited by Reibert; 11-19-2022 at 07:11 PM.

The dimensions:

Total length: 273mm
    Blade length: 150mm
    Handle length including crossguard thickness: 123 mm
    Thickness crossguard: 6.7 mm
    Blade width: 30.5mm
    Blade Thickness: 3.6mm
    MRD: 17.6mm
    Length of scabbard: 155.3 mm

Some detail pictures of the bayonet:
    Chinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for export

The, (very common), "black" version, showin´a polish hanger:
    Chinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for exportChinese M56-II bayonet for export

Thank you for posting detailed information and pics. Not a common item to find in my parts but would like to add to my collection.
    John

John, such pattern bayonets were, (still are ?), China-manufactured for commercial use for the civilian market.