Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"

Article about: Hi, mates ! Want to show you this "Kappmesser, fliegendes Personal, mit Lederscheide", ("cord cutter knife, flying personell, with leather scabbard"), of the Bundeswehr.

Default Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"

Hi, mates !

Want to show you this "Kappmesser, fliegendes Personal, mit Lederscheide", ("cord cutter knife, flying personnel, with leather scabbard"), of the Bundeswehr.

This knife was part of the survival kit of crews of the "Transall" transport planes, helicopter crews, also was fixed in the chute-box of the ejection seat, as far as I know, in the Phantom F4F.

Such knive´s were also used in units of the "Fernaufklärer", ("Lurp´s"), in the "Grenzschutzgruppe 9", ("GSG 9"), also in the close-combat school in Hammelburg.

The knife, manufactured by Rudolf Weber jr., (Logo "Hirschkrone"), replaced the "PUMA Auto-Messer", (in service since 1967), in 1984 and was issued in the Bundeswehr till the mid of the 90´s.

Maybe some of the knive´s are still in service private purchased by soldier´s.

Best regards,
    R.

Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"

Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"Cord cutter knife of the BW "Hirschkrone"

Compare the "Hirschkrone" with the "PUMA Auto-Messer", they´re quite similar, aren´t they ?

Is it a Puma then, or the other company just mostly copied it?

that's 1 chunky knife.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Is it a Puma then, or the other company just mostly copied it?
    No, it´s not a PUMA, it´s a complete different company.
    The knife of Weber was, as far as I know, quite cheaper to manufacture than the knife, made by PUMA.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    that's 1 chunky knife.
    Overall lenght of the "Hirschkrone" knife: 274 mm
    blade lenght: 155 mm
    overall weight: 310 g
    weight of the knife: 250 g

I wonder if Puma was a little bit upset? But I suppose with Govt contracts it could be overlooked. I sure would like to have both examples, GREAT knives!

Glad I've seen this as if I saw one I wouldn't instantly recognise it as a military knife. The riveted slab grips, the construction of the scabbard and the overall heft of the knife remind me of one of the earlier MOD survival knives. Thanks for showing.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Glad I've seen this as if I saw one I wouldn't instantly recognise it as a military knife. ...
    You´re right !
    Such knives were introduced as "civilian" knives for use in cars, hence, the term Auto-Messer, (car-knife).

Automesser Biografie :: pumahunter

Some images of the PUMA Auto-Messer.
    The No. 62273 indicates, that this particular PUMA was manufactured in the 3rd Quarter in 1972.

Overall lenght: 270 mm
    blade lengt: 151 mm
    Overall weight: 260g
    Weight of the knife: 200 g

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast