Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Danish m1867/93 bayonet

Article about: Hello! I found interesting later Danish M1867/93 bayonet made in 1896, but without scabbard. However, I am tormented, by vague doubts. This is my mistrusts: 1) This item seen too new, like h

?

Question Danish m1867/93 bayonet

Hello!
    I found interesting later Danish M1867/93 bayonet made in 1896, but without scabbard.
    However, I am tormented, by vague doubts.
    This is my mistrusts:
    1) This item seen too new, like high quality modern reproduction. An it has all parts high polished.
    2) The maker's mark: "Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie Solingen" seems is not equal indented Letters...

Danish m1867/93 bayonetDanish m1867/93 bayonet

But All similar patterns, what I seen in internets has two marking types:

1) In case when ricasso is market whith an acceptance mark: a crowned - 95 then opposite ricasso has the maker's mark: Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Co Solingen
    2) In case when ricasso is market whith an acceptance mark: a crowned - 96 then opposite ricasso has the maker's mark: Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie Solingen

So what do you think ?
    Is this correct and authentic item or modern repro?

?

Im sorry I can't help with your question. I have a few WKC bayonets from that era but they all have Co and not Cie. Its rare these days for me to come across a bayonet that I've never seen before - an interesting design.

The bayonet is missing it's leather scabbard, which from a collector's point of view is less desirable. That may be the reason the blade is looking over cleaned, it had greyed naturally. The maker's mark "Weyersburg Kirschbaum & Cie", or "& Co" was both used between 1883 and 1930 and sometimes "WK & C". The "& Co" version was probably used with export orders, but not always! They were never very consistent over maker mark and dating by logo and marks is tricky with this company. The spacing of the letters looks a little odd, but I wouldn't assume around that alone that it is a reproduction. The tooling to produce this as a reproduction would be fairly significant.
    Patina around the hilt looks authentic. But check the grips are blackened wood not a type of plastic.

?

By similar extremely scarce bayonets 1700 only made is hard to believe they made here a repro, firstly the modell is not extra known, secondly there is much fraesing working mainly on handle, the grip looks like a celuloid not wood a early plastic which should be correct, the WKC in this form was used mainly to 1910, not later and its similar as on the picture from book, with the gap behind the G in Solingen. Its a variation of stamp. The overall quality is very nice. I dont see any overcleaning here. Looks like a proper piece. Blade should be tempered and could be moved the point to side as by sword. By reproduction would be this probably not the case.

?

Thank you!
    After some web search I found like bayonets which was made in 1895 has a wooden grip with brown color:
    It is really seen perfect.

But other bayonets which was made in 1896 is black grip from unknown material.
    I can’t determinate by photo it type.
    May be it blackened wood.
    May be it plastic.

Buy Dansk sabel/bajonet Mod. 1867/93 - Offer: 531.16EUR,-
    As your can see it is selling only for 531 €...
    Also it very similar which I found...
    So does it may be some small party of high quality replicas selling by dealers ?
    Sorry, may be I am too paranoid. But I don't only want to buy a replica.

It's possible the bayonets saw a long period of service and at some later date there was a refurbishment which involved replacement grips? Just floating some ideas. Might need to do some more research into the use of this bayonet type. Not particularly well known outside Denmark.

?

The period of late 90ies is typical for early plastic, celuloid mainly is visible on M1892 french bayonet, and used on grip by many pistols FN1900.So these grips are pre bakelit period, made from different material but still early plastic, the early production could be made by wood 1895?, its visible on book that the grips are not wood but syntetic material, as no chips and damage is visible. I believe the pieces are correct. Should be searched for other samples in internet, same as the 111 serialed piece could be replacement grip, when the plastic grip has cracked? note Per Holmback with chiped out edge part, which would be looks different when a wood material.
    https://holmback.se/bayonets/pics/De...m1867-93_2.jpg