Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

F.HERDER "sporting" sawback double barrel Nickel-plated bayonet

Article about: Hello ! The first thing I want to say: - I have never seen similar item previosly. After some research I find very similar item in the book of J.A. Maddox "Collecting Bayonets" on

?

Default F.HERDER "sporting" sawback double barrel Nickel-plated bayonet

Hello !
    The first thing I want to say:
    - I have never seen similar item previosly.
    After some research I find very similar item in the book of J.A. Maddox "Collecting Bayonets" on page 430.
    F.HERDER "sporting" sawback double barrel Nickel-plated  bayonetF.HERDER "sporting" sawback double barrel Nickel-plated  bayonet
    F.HERDER "sporting" sawback double barrel Nickel-plated  bayonetF.HERDER "sporting" sawback double barrel Nickel-plated  bayonet

On the blade we can see two marks:
    "F.HERDER ABR.SOHN SOLINGEN" from one side of the blade
    and "F.HERDER" from another.

I seen it in showroom. And it seen realy very cool...
    So does it realy rare small-scale original pre-WW1 sport or may be hunting club bayonet?
    Or modern fantasy?
    Where can i read about it more info?
    Thanks.

Authentic and fairly rare non military piece.

That is really interesting! Was it intended to be used used as a last line of defense against wounded dangerous game, or was it for use in an emergency when a militia with civilian arms might be called to duty (as in Dad's Army)? Or was it for another purpose?

I find it odd that on the blade shows Friedrich Herder ...and the Ace Of Spades logo that belongs to Henrietta Herder.

The advertisement speaks of Herders Diamond Trademark,.... I see no diamond trademark ..only the trademark from H.Herder
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Not uncommon for subcontractors to be involved in manufacturing component parts such as blades. Very common to see two or more makers marks on WW1 bayonets. Solingen makers ranged from the large companies down to quite small shop level makers that supplied parts to others or assembled a contracted batch of blades from parts. The advertisement refers to maker as Richard Herder. Frederick Abr. Herder & Sohne were contemporary to Richard Herder company and a related family business.
    As for the design, it's a hunter's utility knife with a gimmick like adjustable crossguard to attach to a sporting rifle. Whether that was meeting an actual need or an invented one, is open to debate.

?

I dont see any problem here, the trade Mark are from same firm, only different period, which could be done as the knife could be storage piece, later resaled. Is civil market item. Maddox pictured the diamond TM there? could be the piece was made from different maker.
    Last edited by AndyB; 12-23-2022 at 10:45 AM.

I dug into Anthony Carters Cutlery Reference and it all makes sense now and the logos come together.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill