Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Famas knife bayonet

Article about: I was able to bid for a FAMAS bayonet again (against expectations) after a long time. FAMAS stands for Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne FAMAS - Wikipedia This piece

Default Famas knife bayonet

I was able to bid for a FAMAS bayonet again (against expectations) after a long time.

FAMAS stands for Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne

FAMAS - Wikipedia

This piece seems to have been dragged quite a lot, as you can easily see (among other things) from the signs of wear on the scabbard and the carrying device.

Nevertheless, the bayonet itself seems to have mostly remained in the scabbard during its "service period", as can be seen from the very good condition of the blade.

Bayonet and scabbard are the same manufacturer.

stamps:
    DLT
    01 82

so:
    Coutellerie Durol a Thiers

The scabbard and bayonet should have been manufactured (accordingly), probably in January 1982

The dimensions:
    Total length: approx. 326.5 mm
    Blade length: approx. 202 mm
    Handle length, including the thickness of the parrying element, (4 mm): approx. 124.5 mm
    Blade thickness: approx. 4.5 mm
    Blade width: approx. 23 mm
    MRD: approx. 22 mm

More information there:
    Baionnette pour fusil FAMAS << N 236 >> – Geraldbaios
    and:
    Bayonets of France

"Modern" bayonets are not (yet) very popular in the "world of collectors" and are (mostly) still treated rather "neglected".

Precisely for this reason, these edged weapons can usually be procured at quite moderate prices!

Best regards,
    R.
    Famas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonet

Nice bayo and very good write up. Thank you. I would like to own one some day. They do not come out of the woodwork in my parts.
    John

MAP
    ?

Nice pickup
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here´s a FAMAS bayonet which has a different sheath than the bayonet of this model I showed above.

The dimensions:

Total length: approx. 327 mm
    Blade length: approx. 203 mm
    Handle length (including crossguard thickness): approx. 124 mm
    Blade thickness: approx. 4.6 mm
    Blade width: approx. 23 mm
    MRD: about 22mm

The bayonet is equipped with two plastic grips that are screwed together (twice).

The scabbard is also made of plastic and has a drainage hole as well as a hole for a leg strap.

The manufacturer DLT, (fabriqué à Thiers, Durol), is marked on the blade, below, with 03 81 (this probably stands for the year of manufacture of the bayonet: March 1981).

The scabbard is marked with DLT, below, with 01 83 (year of manufacture of the scabbard: January 1983).

The transition period of the differently manufactured sheaths should therefore be limited in time?

The hanger seems to be gray in the pictures (due to the flash), but in reality it is olive-colored.
    Famas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonetFamas knife bayonet

The predecessor of the FAMAS (Fusil d'Assaut de la Manufacture Nationale d'Armes de St-Étienne) assault rifle in the French Armed Forces was the (swiss pattern) SIG 540 and the SIG 542 assault rifle.

A Swiss model produced under license by Manurhin in France.

You can find the corresponding bayonet in this thread:
    SIG 540 / SIG 542 bayonet France