Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

A few bayonets!

Article about: I have a couple of bayonets that I have little information on. I would appreciate any information regarding them. Thanks J

Default A few bayonets!

I have a couple of bayonets that I have little information on. I would appreciate any information regarding them.
    Thanks J

A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!

the longest one is a French m1866 Yataghan sword bayonet for the Chassepot rifle and the inscription across the top is were and when the blade was made.

As mentioned above, the brass handle one is the Chassepot, the next two are British Pattern 1907 bayonets, need to see both sides for marks, could be US or Australian produced as well,used in both WWI and WW2, I see a 1944 makers stamp, the last one is a WW1 German Ersatz bayonet.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    As mentioned above, the brass handle one is the Chassepot, the next two are British Pattern 1907 bayonets, need to see both sides for marks, could be US or Australian produced as well,used in both WWI and WW2, I see a 1944 makers stamp, the last one is a WW1 German Ersatz bayonet.
    Okay thanks for the information!! Both sides of the British pattern 1907 with the sheath is shown in the pictures. I will post the the other one up shortly

Both British Pattern 1907 bayonets are quite identical actually. One has a 4 and the other a 7. I'm thinking it could be Australian as it is more likely as I live there.

A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!
    A few bayonets!

Made July 1944 pretty sure it's a Aussie Lithgow made P1907. Match it to a Lithgow Lee Enfield .303 and you've got the set!

?

As mentioned the first is a French 1866 Chassepot made at St Etienne in May 1870.

The next two are Australian Pattern 1907s made in Orange Arsenal in April 1944 and July 1944

Cant really help with anymore information on the Ersatz bayonet.

Alex

Quote by Alex W View Post
    As mentioned the first is a French 1866 Chassepot made at St Etienne in May 1870.

The next two are Australian Pattern 1907s made in Orange Arsenal in April 1944 and July 1944

Cant really help with anymore information on the Ersatz bayonet.

Alex
    Thanks heaps mate!!

'MA' mark is 'Munitions Australia'-Orange ('OA' marking) was one of the feeder factories for the Lithgow Small Arms Factory when production was decentralised from there mid war-while you do see a lot of Lithgow made stuff here, there's also plenty of British and Indian made kit as well.
    The German 'ersatz' (substitute in English) bayonets were made during WW1 as a cheaper, easier to make equivalent of the standard bayos-will fit on a number of different rifles used by the Germans in WW1.