MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

French Lebel 1886 Bayonet - Which version?

Article about: Hi All, I'm helping an acquaintance sell this French Lebel 1886 Bayonet. I read through Ade's post in the thread below, that discusses the various modifications made from initial manufacture

?

Default French Lebel 1886 Bayonet - Which version?

Hi All,
    I'm helping an acquaintance sell this French Lebel 1886 Bayonet. I read through Ade's post in the thread below, that discusses the various modifications made from initial manufacture, up through WWII.

Help with identifying this bayonet

The example I have doesn't exactly conform, if looking at blade/overall lengths:

• Total w/scabbard - 25.75", 654mm
    • Total wo/scabbard - 21.25", 540mm
    • Blade - 16.5", 419mm
    • Scabbard - 21", 533mm

Based on blade length, it conforms closest to the 1935 modification, although it's about .75" (19mm) longer than the 15.75" (400mm) they were changed to at the time. Additionally, the scabbard has not been shortened.

Bayonet and scabbard have matching serial #'s. Curious what the proper name for this version is, if any?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

?

Evidently the scabbard is full lenght also not proper there, is different serial number, i assume serialed to Tulle rifle? the bayonet had replaced crossguard, as seen on rivet in crossguard which has not proper head,ground filled, from the serials the bayonet was serialed to Chatellerault rifle in AE range, the 400mm was used by cyclist units or some mobile units postwar French army or later by R35. The 2cm lenght difference would be not typical, there could be too explanation some of the postwar countries used shortages post 1918? anyway no other stamps are here visible to confirm this. It could be the tip of blade was broken in war and the blade was shortened. But i would assume scabbard would be shortened too.

?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Evidently the scabbard is full length also not proper there, is different serial number, I assume serialed to Tulle rifle? the bayonet had replaced crossguard, as seen on rivet in crossguard which has not proper head, ground filled, from the serials the bayonet was serialed to Chatellerault rifle in AE range, the 400mm was used by cyclist units or some mobile units postwar French army or later by R35. The 2cm length difference would be not typical, there could be too explanation some of the postwar countries used shortages post 1918? anyway no other stamps are here visible to confirm this. It could be the tip of blade was broken in war and the blade was shortened. But i would assume scabbard would be shortened too.
    Thanks, Andy! Appears the rivet was ground down; not sure why? As for the serial #'s, it's hard to make out, but they are matching - 29329. See image below.

Have to agree with your possible explanation. Blade was broken, sharpened to a point, and the scabbard was left as is?

Thanks for the input!

Hello gentlemen,

On the site "geraldbaios" you will find all the information concerning this type of bayonet and its various modifications.
    This site being in French, I can only advise you to use the translator on google who is quite faithful and precise in his translations.

Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.