Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help identifying 19th century Klingenthal french saber

Article about: Hi everyone, I need help with this French saber, it's made in klingenthal, I haven't seen one like this, its hilt attracts me a lot, it seems strange, the scabbard is in very bad condition b

Leather scabbards really survive 200 years.

?

The scabbard is here not proper one, question remains what for sabre it was, i dont like the lower fitting its from larger blade probably. The price 800€ is total unreal, for similar money You have a excellent 19 century sabre of various countries. The briquet is not hard to find even not french origin, but many other states used similar design, small german states, swiss, italy, austria and various others.

Hello gentlemen,

Your saber is an “Africanization” of a good French blade, apparently a Briquet saber which France has given to most of its former possessions. The guard-handles were dismantled because they were made of brass and replaced by carved wooden handles which have made and still make the joy of tourists, eager to bring back souvenirs. All the cooperators or French soldiers who have made a stay in Africa have brought back this kind of "souvenirs"
    Its value is close to 0 and if you want to do a good deed : €10.

A saber Briquet is not rare at all in France, all auction houses have it in their catalog and they have trouble selling them for a good price.
    There were all the same more than 400,000 exemplary of them manufactured in the various arsenals.
    - For a Briquet Garde Nationale, without markings, count between 75€ and 100€ in good condition.
    - For a regular Briquet outside the 1st empire, count 100€ to 150€.
    - For a current 1st empire between 150€ and 200€. Depending on the state.
    - A good sheath is negotiated between 75 and 100€ extra.

Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Thank you for your assessment, in my country, a Napoleonic briquet in not very good condition without markings is for sale for 300 euros.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2