Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

"Keep sharp, You're the cuttin' edge !"

Article about: I still have a few knives and bayonets in front of me that I have received in the last few days and weeks and would like to present in more detail in posts in the forum. I have now oiled oth

Talking "Keep sharp, You're the cuttin' edge !"

I still have a few knives and bayonets in front of me that I have received in the last few days and weeks and would like to present in more detail in posts in the forum.
    I have now oiled others again and put them in boxes.

It's funny, I just remembered the movie "The Bridge at Remagen" when Major Barnes said the sentence several times in different scenes: "Keep sharp, You're the cuttin' edge!"

Somehow I associate this with us collectors of blank weapons of all kinds!

There are many areas of expertise among us collectors, but collecting edged weapons is at the top for me!

"Keep sharp, You're the cuttin' edge !""Keep sharp, You're the cuttin' edge !"

Reibert, that's one of my favourite films, script for that film's brilliant !
    Paul

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    Reibert, that's one of my favourite films, script for that film's brilliant !
    Paul
    Paul,
    "A Bridge too far" sticks even more closely to the historical events.
    I have the “Hohenstaufen” chronicle in my library and the film really follows the events of that time very closely.

But, you're probably right that certain sequences of the film are based on actual events in Remagen, but the "dramaturgy" of the individual characters is, in my opinion, just far too "lurid"...

Interesting that the film was actually allowed to be partly shot in what was then Czechoslovakia in the run-up to the invasion of Czechoslovakia by the Warsaw Treaty states!

I do love collecting my Bayonets and knives! I recently just bought a 1893 dated P1888 Lee-Metford Bayonet for 45 dollars while wandering a flea market. When my friend asked if I was gonna polish and sharpen it I just gave a blank stare and said 'never'. While I would love to carry some of my bayonets I dont think I could break in, sharpen or carry an original piece!

I spy these in the pictures off the top of my head.

-Remington WW1 Mark III Bayonet that is cut down.
    -No. 1 Mark 5 bayonet
    -Short Mark 3 bayonet?
    -Ersatz Bayonet
    -WW1 German Trench Knife
    -WW2 German boot knife
    -Ka-Bar with the crossguard bent up?
    -French Legion Fairbairn dagger?

Cant wait to see you post them!
    Last edited by Mordecai; 12-06-2023 at 12:01 AM.

French fighting knife / dagger privately purchased, period of use: probably Algerian War and younger.

German Armeedolch WWI "Bavarian Pattern".

Kampfmesser PUMA Wehrmacht.

Israeli No.6 style bayonet.

Soviet M1940 for the Tokarev self-loading rifle.

AES FM80 (Feldmesser Modell 80), a combat knife made in Germany based on the Glock FMsr78.

British No.5 Mk.I bayonet for the "Jungle Carbine".

French combat knife, (shortened P17 and US M1917).

Blast, I can't believe I mistook a SVT bayonet for an Ersatz, I love you're Puma and Armeedolch especially!
    I'll be sure to check out you're posts regarding each of these.
    Its fun to look out for new bayonets to 'Keep sharp', I might have to go rewatch a Bridge too far now!
    Thanks again for showing us your knives.

I received these edged weapons in the last few days.
    Some are very easy and cheap to obtain in Austria and Germany, such as the three, still very well preserved, bayonets of the NVA and the British No.9 in mint condition (all together in a package for EUR 110 / GBP 95 / USD 121) including shipping.

The German worn army dagger from the First World War was priced at EUR 170 / GBP 146 / USD 187 and the Australian OWEN was in mint condition at EUR 130 / GBP 112 / USD 143 (each including shipping costs), but relatively expensive...

NVA bayonets are not really sought after or popular among collectors in this country, but they are also slowly becoming noticeably more expensive than just a few years ago.
    A nice introduction to this area, especially for beginner collectors of bayonets.

"Keep sharp, You're the cuttin' edge !""Keep sharp, You're the cuttin' edge !""Keep sharp, You're the cuttin' edge !"