Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Bayonets

Article about: Hello, I recently started to collect post WW2 bayonets. I was wondering how long these bayonets were used in the post war era as standard issue. Thank you.

Default Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Bayonets

Hello, I recently started to collect post WW2 bayonets. I was wondering how long these bayonets were used in the post war era as standard issue. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Bayonets   Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Bayonets  

Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Bayonets   Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Bayonets  

Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Bayonets   Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Bayonets  

?

Off the top of my head the no4 bayonet was used post war in british service until the no9 bayonet began to replace it in the late 1940s. The no9 was used until replaced by the SLR in the late 50s however the no9 was still produced in the early 60s and used by secondary line troops and Navy until much later. The royal marine commandos used no4 rifles and no9 bayonets in the suez so the SLR did not fall into the wrong hands (or so i've read). I think the Irish also used the no9 in the 50s and 60s.

The no4 was used post war by Canada, NZ and Belgium until the SLR was introduced in the mid 1950s. I think it then got extensive use in the middle east until they modernised their rifles.

Britain - The No. 4 Spike Bayonet
    The British No. 9 Bayonet and Foreign Copies

?

No4MkII was made by Singer under code N67.